Re: confusion with decorators

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dave Angel, Jan 31, 2013.

  1. Dave Angel

    Dave Angel Guest

    On 01/30/2013 07:34 PM, Jason Swails wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I was having some trouble understanding decorators and inheritance and all
    > that. This is what I was trying to do:
    >
    > # untested
    > class A(object):
    > def _protector_decorator(fcn):
    > def newfcn(self, *args, **kwargs):
    > return fcn(self, *args, **kwargs)
    > return newfcn
    >
    > @_protector_decorator
    > def my_method(self, *args, **kwargs):
    > """ do something here """
    >
    > class B(A):
    > def _protector_decorator(fcn):
    > def newfcn(self, *args, **kwargs):
    > raise MyException('I do not want B to be able to access the
    > protected functions')
    > return newfcn
    >
    > The goal of all that was to be able to change the behavior of my_method
    > inside class B simply by redefining the decorator. Basically, what I want
    > is B.my_method() to be decorated by B._protector_decorator, but in the code
    > I'm running it's decorated by A._protector_decorator.
    >
    > I presume this is because once the decorator is applied to my_method in
    > class A, A.my_method is immediately bound to the new, 'decorated' function,
    > which is subsequently inherited (and not decorated, obviously), by B.
    >
    > Am I correct here? My workaround was to simply copy the method from class
    > A to class B, after which B._protector_decorator decorated the methods in
    > B. While this doesn't make the use of decorators completely pointless (the
    > decorators actually do something in each class, it's just different), it
    > does add a bunch of code duplication which I was at one point hopeful to
    > avoid.
    >
    > I'm still stumbling around with decorators a little, but this exercise has
    > made them a lot clearer to me.

    I'm certainly not the expert on decorators; I've only used them for
    simple things. But I think I can clear up one misconception.

    The decorator function will execute while *compiling* the class A, and
    the one in class B is unreferenced.

    The decorator @_protector_decorator is shorthand for something like
    mymethod = _protector_decorator(mymethod)

    So by the time the compiler ends with class A, the mymethod has its
    final value.

    (Note, I've not used a decorator that was defined inside a class, so I'm
    probably missing the appropriate A. or self. or cls. overrides.)
    But the order of definition is still correct. A decorator executes
    once, just after a function is completed.

    --
    DaveA
    Dave Angel, Jan 31, 2013