Re: container moved down by a menu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Tim Streater, Nov 13, 2013.

  1. Tim Streater

    Tim Streater Guest

    In article <>, Bob H
    <> wrote:

    > I used a 1 column with elastic header and footer template from
    > Dreamweaver CS4 for another webpage, then added the menu I put on the
    > front page.
    >
    > The template on its own was hard up to the top of the page when
    > published, then I added the menu and the whole container has moved down
    > the page by about 20px's.
    >
    > http://www.bob2cat.org.uk/GarysBeds/SleighBedColl.html

    Yes, fixing the overlapping fixes your page, although I haven't looked
    into exactly why. You have this:

    <!--

    some css declarations here

    <!--

    some more css declarations here

    -->

    -->

    You need to change it to:

    <!--

    some css declarations here

    some more css declarations here

    -->

    Is there any point to these <!-- --> things which IIRC are comment
    delimiters of some sort? Personally I never use them. They have screwed
    you over in this instance.

    --
    Tim

    Tim Streater, Nov 13, 2013

  2. Tim Streater wrote:

    > You need to change it to:

    > <!--
    >
    > some css declarations here
    >
    > some more css declarations here
    >
    > -->
    >

    > Is there any point to these <!-- --> things which IIRC are comment
    > delimiters of some sort? Personally I never use them. They have screwed
    > you over in this instance.

    Actually you need to REMOVE the " <!-- --> ". Those are HTML comment
    delimiters, not CSS comment delimiters which are "/* */"

    Anything between the opening STYLE tag and closing STYLE tag should
    follow CSS syntax rules (also in external stylesheet files)

    <!--
    -->

    and

    <script type="text/javascript">
    //<!--
    //-->

    garbage is just cargo cult practice which refers back to the dawn of WWW
    with one very early version of Netscape. So just stop perpetuating it,
    it is not necessary. If you are commenting in your stylesheet theb use
    the proper comment delimiters:

    /* It is actually EASY being green */
    body { color: green; background: white; }

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO