Re: content management

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neil Gould, Nov 11, 2011.

  1. Neil Gould

    Neil Gould Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > I am building a website from scratch, no templates, for a client.. Is
    > there any program that will allow the client to log in to the server
    > and make updates to the site. From my understanding of CMS programs
    > you need to use their templates to be able to make changes.

    What kind of "updates" did you have in mind? Those that can be handled by
    FTP, for example?

    CMS is a phrase that covers everything from blogs to complete data-driven
    multi-media output applications costing in the mid 6 figures.

    --
    Neil

    Neil Gould, Nov 11, 2011

  2. Neil Gould

    Neil Gould Guest

    Hi Andy,

    Andy wrote:
    > "Neil Gould" <> wrote in message
    >> Andy wrote:
    >>> I am building a website from scratch, no templates, for a client..
    >>> Is there any program that will allow the client to log in to the
    >>> server and make updates to the site. From my understanding of CMS
    >>> programs you need to use their templates to be able to make changes.
    >>>

    >> What kind of "updates" did you have in mind? Those that can be
    >> handled by FTP, for example?
    >>
    >> CMS is a phrase that covers everything from blogs to complete
    >> data-driven multi-media output applications costing in the mid 6
    >> figures.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Neil
    >>

    > Thanks Neil.
    > The client would just like to update text and add the occaisonal
    > image so an FTP program might be all that is needed. Which would you
    > suggest?

    That would depend on the platform. Filezilla for PC is OK. However, the FTP
    approach presumes a few things, such as the completed page (and content such
    as pictures) is uploaded, URLs are preserved, etc.

    The tasks that you're describing sound like a job for blogging software,
    Joomla (if you want to "roll your own" CMS), and the like where your client
    would handle the updates by filling out forms. It's a bit of work up front,
    but it's more secure in the end since the actual page code remains valid.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil

    Neil Gould, Nov 12, 2011