Re: Converting transitional to strict

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Neredbojias, May 16, 2010.

  1. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 16 May 2010, Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > In article <>, Lewis says...
    >> Try this:
    >> <form method="post" action="../suche/" class="searchform" >
    >> <input maxlength="255" name="s" size="30" value=""
    >> class="searchform"> <input value="Search" type="submit"
    >> class="searchform1"> </div>
    >> </form>

    > I tried that and it messed up the layout (search window no longer in
    > one line with the other menu elements).
    >
    > Also noticed that lots of major sites are still using transitional.
    > Even www.webmasterworld.com, the site of the gurus, has doctype set
    > to transitional. I think I'll continue sticking to transitional, as
    > long as the browsers support this. "Strict" is too strict for me ;-)

    That's fine for your old pages but you should really at least attempt
    to do new pages in "strict". The real reason for this is that it
    actually offers more styling possibilites and is boded to be presented
    more uniformly across different browsers.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, May 16, 2010

  2. Neredbojias wrote:

    >> "Strict" is too strict for me ;-)

    > That's fine for your old pages but you should really at least attempt
    > to do new pages in "strict". The real reason for this is that it
    > actually offers more styling possibilites and is boded to be presented
    > more uniformly across different browsers.

    No, it offers _less_ styling possibilities and it tends to be presented
    _less_ uniformly.

    The real reason for using Strict is that a) it is conceptually more logical
    and b) it forces you to do at least part of the formatting in CSS and not in
    HTML, thereby separating presentation from content+structure. This is fairly
    theoretical, and if you actually benefit from using non-Strict constructs,
    feel free to use them (and to use a suitable DOCTYPE, for the purposes of
    validation).

    Anything that can be done in HTML 4.01 Strict can be done in HTML 4.01
    Transitional. The reverse is not true. (You can, of course, use CSS for
    styling an HTML 4.01 Transitional document, either in addition to
    presentational HTML features or instead of them.)

    Presentational HTML attributes and elements tends to be honored, in
    consistent manner, better than CSS. Besides, CSS can be overruled by a user
    style sheet or by disabling CSS support; these do not affect presentational
    HTML. This is _not_ an argument in favor of using presentational HTML.
    Rather the opposite. An author's presentational suggestions _should_ be
    easily overridable, and any user who takes the trouble of switching CSS off
    or setting up his own user style sheet should be expected to have a very
    good reason to that.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, May 16, 2010