Re: Coordination between developers in the Python project

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Nov 6, 2012.

  1. On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Ian Kelly <> wrote:
    > On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 3:01 PM, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    >> By "URL unshortening service" you mean a simple HTTP request to
    >> bit.ly:80, right? :) Though I admit there aren't many easy and
    >> convenient ways to do that without immediately following the 301
    >> redirect.

    > That's one way to do it. Although I find it a bit easier to just use
    > something like unshorten.com, which is the first Google hit for "url
    > unshortener". Assuming that you trust that site to not be hosting
    > malware itself. :)

    A few years ago, I found myself bugged by URLs getting broken across
    multiple lines when shared across a MUD communication channel
    (80-character lines, with a header on each line, so there'd be between
    65 and 75 usable characters per line), so I wrote a feature into my
    MUD client that would auto-shorten long URLs by passing them to
    tinyurl.com, and also "render" them on the other side - if it started
    http://tinyurl.com/ then the client would, on request, query tinyurl
    and snag the returned URL back into the display.

    For some reason it never occurred to me to do it any way other than
    direct socket operations in C.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Nov 6, 2012