Re: Correct usage of ADO.Net in an ASP.Net environment

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Natty Gur, Jul 15, 2003.

  1. Natty Gur

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    First of all I personally prefer to separate between the logic and the
    data layer. The data access layer (DAL) just handles the DB by talking
    SQL. The business logic (BL) layer just handles logic. If BL needs data
    he asks it from DAL.

    Now, back to the applications architecture. Let’s start with the reason
    for the errors. The ASP.NET page is multi-threaded that mean that the
    object that you declare to hold your BL (you declare it as class
    variable) will be shared by all threads that process this page.
    You also declare the Connection, Command and reader as class variable.
    So if two page requests will call method of your BL class we can end up
    with this situation. First request is busy populating datareader data.
    if the second request ask to populate another Datareader you will get
    error since there is just one Reader and he is busy right now.

    My advice is to make the Command, Connect and reader as method
    variables.

    Natty Gur, CTO
    Dao2Com Ltd.
    28th Baruch Hirsch st. Bnei-Brak
    Israel , 51114

    Phone Numbers:
    Office: +972-(0)3-5786668
    Fax: +972-(0)3-5703475
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Know the overall picture

    Natty Gur, Jul 15, 2003

  2. Natty Gur

    Heath Kelly Guest

    Thanks Natty,
    however moving the command, connection and reader variables
    to the method level has not had any positive effect. I did get some
    good cutting and pasting practice happening.
    Anyone else got any ideas?

    Heath Kelly, Jul 21, 2003

  3. Natty Gur

    Natty Gur Guest

    Are you sure that you move the declaration of those objects (DB) ?

    Natty Gur, Jul 21, 2003