Re: Couting the number of lines of code of a python program

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Jan 5, 2013.

  1. On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 12:55 AM, chaouche yacine
    <> wrote:
    > The
    > problem is that I'm using the inspect module, because it provides a
    > nice function inspect.getsourcelines that takes a python object and
    > return its number of lines of code. BUT, it works on live objects, that
    > means one has to first import the module he wants to process, and this
    > can have side effects (example : GUI programs).

    If you're using this entirely on your own code, one good way to solve
    the problem is to make your code always importable. Protect your
    top-level code with "if __name__=='__main__':" (and possibly put it
    into a function main() if that simplifies your code counting), and you
    should then be able to import it as-is, and all you'll do is define a
    bunch of functions/classes.

    But counting lines of code is a hairy thing to do. Do blank lines,
    comments, and multi-line strings count?

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Jan 5, 2013