Re: crazy programming language thoughts

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sean Ross, Aug 22, 2003.

  1. Sean Ross

    Sean Ross Guest

    "Ryan Lowe" <> wrote in message
    > i just want to say that i know i saw a similar idea in another language, a
    > few years ago, but damned if i remember where or what language. i guess

    the
    > language didnt make it:( but if anyone knows a language like this, PLEASE
    > let me know.

    Hi.
    This may not be the language you're trying to recall but it is a language
    that uses English syntax: "AppleScript"

    Check it out here:

    http://developer.apple.com/documentation/AppleScript/Conceptual/AppleScriptLangGuide/index.html

    Unfortunately, it's only available on the Mac.

    I've actually made a language very much like AppleScript. However, before
    you get excited, that language was designed for a *very* specific purpose,
    and you *cannot* use it for general programming of *any kind*. That being
    said, the code is available at:

    http://chat.carleton.ca/~sross

    It was written in Python using SPARK - extending SPARK's included Python
    1.5.2 grammar example. The code is not great: it was written during a course
    at which time I was just learning Python, SPARK, and the steps involved in
    moving from source to executable. (I don't know if I ever want touch it
    again ... ). Anyway, if you're interested, it's there. Maybe you can whip a
    toy version of AppleScript. I'd like to (seriously), but I haven't any
    time - the fall semester is coming up quickly. Maybe after I've finished
    school ...

    Hope that helps, and, if you do make a toy AppleScript, please let me know
    about it!
    Sean

    Sean Ross, Aug 22, 2003