Re: crazy programming language thoughts

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ryan Lowe, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. Ryan Lowe

    Ryan Lowe Guest

    thanks for all the replies. i think the language i was thinking is lost
    amongst the hundreds of languages almost nobody has ever heard of. it doesnt
    really matter though, its the ideas that interest me. ive looked into so
    many languages recently, one thing is clear, ive only scratched the surface
    of different languages...

    i did look into some of the ones mentioned, specifically, COBOL and
    Applescript. i was more impressed with applescript, because i think you can
    expand the language that the interpreter understands (unlike COBOL) with
    some sort of 'dictionary,' though its a little hard to say at first glance,
    given the new-programmer-targeted documentation. it seemed a little wordy,
    like writing a sentence just to make an assignment when there is a perfectly
    good = sign for that :)

    "Paul D. Fernhout" <> wrote in message

    > You may be thinking of Smalltalk.
    > http://www.smalltalk.org/
    > although there are other languages with related phrasing (like in
    > HyperCard? and even COBOL?).
    >
    > The Python code:
    >
    > x = sin(10) + 50 * 20 * self.myfunctionXY(cos(30), 40)
    >
    > would be in Smalltalk something like:
    >
    > x := 10 sin + (50 * 20 * self myfunctionX: 30 cos y: 40).

    i didnt look at smalltalk. stuff like this example turns me off a bit. why
    put the sin and cos AFTER the operand? ill try to look into it at some
    point, though. i have heard good things about it.

    Ryan Lowe, Aug 23, 2003

  2. On Friday 22 August 2003 16:05, Ryan Lowe wrote:

    > i did look into some of the ones mentioned, specifically, COBOL and
    > Applescript. i was more impressed with applescript, because i think you can
    > expand the language that the interpreter understands (unlike COBOL) with
    > some sort of 'dictionary,' though its a little hard to say at first
    > glance, given the new-programmer-targeted documentation. it seemed a little
    > wordy, like writing a sentence just to make an assignment when there is a
    > perfectly good = sign for that :)

    ah, but there is the rub. If '=' is good enough for assignment why bother
    with ANY english text? Why is:

    a = b

    better than

    assign b to a