Re: CRC-checksum failed in gzip

Discussion in 'Python' started by Laszlo Nagy, Aug 1, 2012.

  1. Laszlo Nagy

    Laszlo Nagy Guest

    > Thanks a lotl, someone that writes on the file while reading might be
    > an explanation, the problem is that everyone claims that they are only
    > reading the file.

    If that is true, then make that file system read only. Soon it will turn
    out who is writing them. ;-)

    > Apparently this file is generated once and a long time after only read
    > by two different tools (in sequence), so this could not be possible
    > either in theory.. I'll try to investigate more in this sense since
    > it's the only reasonable explation I've found so far.

    Safe solution would be to develop a system where files go through
    "states" in a predefined order:

    * allow programs to write into files with .incomplete extension.
    * allow them to rename the file to .complete.
    * create a single program that renames .complete files to .gz files
    AFTER making them read-only for everybody else.
    * readers should only read .gz file
    * .gz files are then guaranteed to be complete.

    Laszlo Nagy, Aug 1, 2012