    --
    Lets see. There should be one hiding behind that asteroid, if I can just
    keep from hanging on that moon with my backcast.
    Dave Kelly, Jun 10, 2007

  2. Scripsit Dave Kelly:

    > Thanks guys for all your replies.

    You're welcome. It seems that you didn't understand most of them, but
    there's little we can help in that department.

    > Mostly it can be done. And does not cause the browser to vomit.

    Quite a noble goal, is it not?

    You seem to take great pains in avoiding the obvious solution of including
    credits as normal content. By the way, stay tuned to getting sued for
    copyright infringement some day. In many civilized countries, you are
    required to announce the photographer or other author of a work, when using
    another person's work. A court would hardly judge a meta tag as acceptable
    for that.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 10, 2007

  3. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Dave Kelly:
    >
    >> Thanks guys for all your replies.

    > You're welcome. It seems that you didn't understand most of them, but
    > there's little we can help in that department.

    But I do understand. You will be hard pressed to find a stronger
    advocate of intellectual property rights than I.

    >> Mostly it can be done. And does not cause the browser to vomit.

    > Quite a noble goal, is it not?

    If we do not dream the impossible dream; ask the inane question; chase
    the noble goal: Humanity would still be walking around on all fours and
    drawing on the wall of some cave with a burnt stick.

    > You seem to take great pains in avoiding the obvious solution of
    > including credits as normal content. By the way, stay tuned to getting
    > sued for copyright infringement some day. In many civilized countries,
    > you are required to announce the photographer or other author of a work,
    > when using another person's work. A court would hardly judge a meta tag
    > as acceptable for that.

    Your paragraph above leads to an important point about the intellectual
    property rights. It should be read by the new users and new adventurer
    into website coding.

    INFORMATION NOT INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD
    The pictures sent to me to be posted on the web site are sent by the
    authors of those pictures. We are a nonprofit educational club of about
    150 members teaching fly fishing to a wide range of people. From cub
    scouts to groups of elderly in assisted living communities. Our
    executive governing committee has a lawyer looking over my shoulder and
    he gives me no breaks.

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.
    Dave Kelly, Jun 10, 2007
  4. Scripsit Dave Kelly:

    > But I do understand. You will be hard pressed to find a stronger
    > advocate of intellectual property rights than I.

    Yet you still appear to try to find ways to avoid attributing photos to the
    photographers in normal visible text.

    > Your paragraph above leads to an important point about the
    > intellectual property rights. It should be read by the new users and
    > new adventurer into website coding.

    I don't see any connection. You seem to have missed my point about the
    requirements to announce the author.

    > INFORMATION NOT INCLUDED IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD

    Stop shouting.

    > The pictures sent to me to be posted on the web site are sent by the
    > authors of those pictures.

    That does not mean that you are not obliged to announce their authorship.

    > We are a nonprofit educational club of
    > about 150 members teaching fly fishing to a wide range of people.

    Excuse me while I yawn.

    > Our executive governing committee has a lawyer looking over my
    > shoulder and he gives me no breaks.

    Most lawyers have little understanding of copyright issues. But if your
    lawyer has shown green light to your approach of hiding authorship
    information in meta tags, you have probably misinformed him about what
    you're doing and what meta tags are. They're comparable to invisible ink.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 10, 2007
  5. On 2007-06-10, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Dave Kelly:
    >
    >> But I do understand. You will be hard pressed to find a stronger
    >> advocate of intellectual property rights than I.

    > Yet you still appear to try to find ways to avoid attributing photos to the
    > photographers in normal visible text.
    >
    >> Your paragraph above leads to an important point about the
    >> intellectual property rights. It should be read by the new users and
    >> new adventurer into website coding.

    > I don't see any connection. You seem to have missed my point about the
    > requirements to announce the author.

    There is no such requirement unless the creator requires it.

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 11, 2007
  6. Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

    >> I don't see any connection. You seem to have missed my point about
    >> the requirements to announce the author.

    > There is no such requirement unless the creator requires it.

    Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright laws
    that may apply, before making such statements. You're seriously misleading
    people - even to commit crimes.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 11, 2007
  7. On 2007-06-11, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:
    >
    >>> I don't see any connection. You seem to have missed my point about
    >>> the requirements to announce the author.

    >> There is no such requirement unless the creator requires it.

    > Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright laws
    > that may apply, before making such statements. You're seriously misleading
    > people - even to commit crimes.

    If there is such a requirement, can you point to something that
    substantiates your position?

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 11, 2007
  8. Dave Kelly

    Bergamot Guest

    Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
    > On 2007-06-11, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >> Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

    >>> There is no such requirement unless the creator requires it.

    >> Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright laws

    > If there is such a requirement, can you point to something that
    > substantiates your position?

    I am interested as well. Having permission to use copyrighted material
    is not under debate, but giving a credit for everyone to see is
    something else entirely.

    --
    Berg
    Bergamot, Jun 11, 2007
  9. Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:

    >> Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright
    >> laws that may apply, before making such statements. You're seriously
    >> misleading people - even to commit crimes.

    > If there is such a requirement, can you point to something that
    > substantiates your position?

    See my advice about. I know the jurisdiction that I live under, and I know
    what it says about copyright and about the requirement to indicate the
    author of a work. I don't even know which jurisdiction you live under, but
    I'm pretty sure you didn't check its copyright law before posting your
    opinion.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Jun 11, 2007
  10. Dave Kelly

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Scripsit Chris F.A. Johnson:
    >
    >>> Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright
    >>> laws that may apply, before making such statements. You're seriously
    >>> misleading people - even to commit crimes.

    >> If there is such a requirement, can you point to something that
    >> substantiates your position?

    > See my advice about. I know the jurisdiction that I live under, and I
    > know what it says about copyright and about the requirement to indicate
    > the author of a work. I don't even know which jurisdiction you live
    > under, but I'm pretty sure you didn't check its copyright law before
    > posting your opinion.

    You are "pretty sure" that the poster didn't check the law? It's
    statements such as these that, contrary to what you are presumably
    attempting to achieve, actually degrade the apparent credibility of many
    of your posts.

    You frequently chide others on making assumptions, yet you do it all the
    time. I'm not saying you're wrong, simply that you stated no good
    reason for doubting the poster. As usual, you just got up upon your
    high horse and pontificated. Sad, because you obviously are smart,
    well-read on some topics, and are able to express yourself (usually) in
    a lucid manner. Sad, because your effrontery in presentation oft times
    precludes my (and other's) interest in even reading your pompous
    pronouncements. Sad, because your wisdom is, then, being lost.
    Although, I do realize that you probably don't really care. My
    suspicion is that you simply delight in hearing yourself talk and that
    furthers your view that all other human entities are lesser than than you.

    Before addressing the issue at hand I will opine that rudeness is
    /never/ acceptable. I have been, in my 57 years, guilty of it. I have
    always tried to apologize for the incivility. You seem to thrive on
    being uncivil. To what end, I have no idea. It demeans you in others'
    eyes and reduces the import of what you have to say. But, hey, in
    America we like to say things like: "That's ok! You wanna be an
    asshole? No problem! This is the land of the free, knock your socks off."

    Regarding the issue at hand, I can't presume to speak concerning your
    jurisdiction, however, after extensive searching, and years of being
    responsible for interfacing with corporate attorneys on such matters for
    companies large and small, I have found nothing in U.S. copyright law
    that requires a citation defining the copyright holder when one uses a
    copyrighted work (or portion thereof).

    It seems that the citation (and its form) would be something specified
    by the copyright holder in granting permission to use the copyrighted
    material.

    Further, there is some case law that indicates that two things could be
    significant in a dispute over a copyright:

    1. The holder of the copyright should identify the copyright in any
    usage. This /may/ be used in a dispute to demonstrate to the court that
    the copyright holder was aggressively identifying his rights, thereby
    precluding any argument by an infringer that "He didn't identify his
    work as his." Not necessary under the law, but it /could/ be supportive
    in court for the copyright holder.

    2. An authorized user /should/ cite the copyright holder when using a
    copyrighted work with permission. This not (as far as I've been able to
    ascertain) required, however, in a dispute the (supposed) infringer
    could use it as supportive of his intention to /not/ infringe.

    These seem to be not requirements but, rather, incidental supportive
    acts should a dispute arise.

    Indeed, at least in the U.S., /the creation/ of a unique copyright-able
    work is legally sufficient to ensure the copyright: That is, the author
    does not need to register the copyright, the mere creation of the "art"
    is sufficient to guarantee copyrights.

    So, I would support, in the face of any other authoritative information,
    the notion that one is not /required/ to cite the copyright holder (who
    may not be the author) when using (with permission) a copyrighted work.
    If the author requires such indentification in granting permission
    and the user does not do so, then the user would (obviously) be in
    violation of the terms of usage.

    Again, I'm happy to have an actual attorney weigh in here with
    authoritative experience. And very happy to learn and change my own lay
    opinions in the face of actual learned experience.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 12, 2007
  11. "Jukka K. Korpela" <> writes:

    > See my advice about. I know the jurisdiction that I live under, and I
    > know what it says about copyright and about the requirement to
    > indicate the author of a work. I don't even know which jurisdiction
    > you live under, but I'm pretty sure you didn't check its copyright law
    > before posting your opinion.

    In the US, credit and labeling are negotiable licensing terms, not legal
    mandates. It depends on the terms you've agreed upon with your publisher.

    I thought that was part of Berne, but it may be unique to the US.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 12, 2007
  12. Ed Mullen <> writes:

    > Indeed, at least in the U.S., /the creation/ of a unique
    > copyright-able work is legally sufficient to ensure the copyright:
    > That is, the author does not need to register the copyright, the mere
    > creation of the "art" is sufficient to guarantee copyrights.

    I would still say that registration is important, for anything but the most
    trivial of works. It's not a question of "better rights", but of placing a
    positive assertion of your rights into the public record. Entering them into
    evidence, as it were, in any future legal disputes concerning the copyright.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Jun 12, 2007
  13. Dave Kelly

    Ed Mullen Guest

    http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.html#hsc

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jun 12, 2007
  14. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:
    > This served a couple of answers for
    > me. Mostly it can be done. And does not cause the browser to vomit.

    SHssssssssssssh!!!!!!!!! Guys
    This is not what I set out to learn. I was trying to find out if I could
    send secret messages to the 20 year old waitress down at the Magnolia Diner.

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.
    Dave Kelly, Jun 13, 2007
  15. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    >>> I don't see any connection. You seem to have missed my point about
    >>> the requirements to announce the author.

    >> There is no such requirement unless the creator requires it.

    > Please consult some primer on copyright, or ultimately the copyright
    > laws that may apply, before making such statements. You're seriously
    > misleading people - even to commit crimes.

    German law says that the author has to be mentioned as he prescribes, in
    the license agreement. There is no need for a visible notice, unless the
    author asks for one.

    DoDi
    Hans-Peter Diettrich, Jun 16, 2007