Re: Creating a CSS File

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Mar 22, 2013.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <kigmre$k0q$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > 2013-03-22 4:27, dorayme wrote:

    > >> html {border: 1px solid black; }

    > > Nope. The HTML border is not guaranteed to apply to BODY.

    > It is guaranteed to *not* apply to BODY, so the CSS code above is surely
    > ineffective of any suspected style sheet that sets a border on BODY.

    Important to let Warren Oates down gently, he is very sensitive. I
    gave him an example to see non-guarantee in action, your point is
    stronger (but harder to illustrate).

    > "CSS resets" cause more problems than they solve. It is common to see
    > them used routinely, without thinking, and nasty problems emerging.
    >
    > The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
    > design goals, not "everything".

    Yes, this is what I do, just what I need for a particular page or
    site. (Incidentally, if I am sensible, I must exist. I like proofs of
    this fact).

    > Setting line-height is a different matter: we *know* that browsers apply
    > different defaults for it, and we *know*, from typographic principles,
    > that adequate values for line height depend on things like column width,
    > not only on font.

    Yes, I agree and much due to your own writings over the years.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 22, 2013