Re: Creating a CSS File

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Warren Oates, Mar 22, 2013.

  1. Warren Oates

    Warren Oates Guest

    In article <kigmre$k0q$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > If there is a browser style sheet or a
    > user style sheet that sets a border on BODY, then we should assume that
    > there is very good reason to that, and avoid interfering with it.

    I agree that a "user" style sheet should be left alone, if it renders
    the page nicely, and it's none of my business.

    The browsers all have differing standards, but, and I reset them to
    meet my own. Just because the lads at Safari think that the body should
    start 2px in from the edge doesn't mean that I do. Because the fine lads
    at Opera have different ideas. I'll have to check with the lad at dwb ...
    --

    Soulless fruitflies are the nanotechnology of the fear industry -- Bucky
    Warren Oates, Mar 22, 2013

  2. 2013-03-22 13:22, Warren Oates wrote:

    > I agree that a "user" style sheet should be left alone, if it renders
    > the page nicely, and it's none of my business.

    You cannot, as an author, distinguish user style sheets from browser
    default style sheets. You cannot know which one you are overriding.

    > The browsers all have differing standards, but, and I reset them to
    > meet my own. Just because the lads at Safari think that the body should
    > start 2px in from the edge doesn't mean that I do. Because the fine lads
    > at Opera have different ideas. I'll have to check with the lad at dwb ...

    The common browser default, reflected at
    http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/sample.html
    is 8px margins for body. It is very useful for pages that have not been
    styled by authors, since it prevents text content from hitting the
    edges. If an authors takes care of such issues by other means, he should
    of course override the default borders.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 22, 2013