Re: Creating a CSS File

Discussion in 'HTML' started by tlvp, Mar 23, 2013.

  1. tlvp

    tlvp Guest

    On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:33:42 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:

    > ... The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
    > design goals, not "everything". If there is a browser style sheet or a
    > user style sheet that sets a border on BODY, then we should assume that
    > there is very good reason to that, and avoid interfering with it.

    An illustrative case in point: A car rental agency wrote me an HTML rental
    confirmation email with just such a massive upfront style sheet reset.
    Reading that email in my mail service provider's webmail UI, that reset
    effectively wiped out ALL the HTML navigation- and message-manipulation-
    controls of that webmail UI. No straightforward way to Print the message
    (other than by screen-scrape), no way to Reply to it, no way to go on to
    the Next message, no way to Log Out of the email account, ... . "Caramba!"

    No, I never rented from them again :) .

    Cheers, -- tlvp
    tlvp, Mar 23, 2013

  2. On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 21:46:01 -0400, tlvp <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 06:33:42 +0200, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    >
    >> ... The sensible approach is to set whatever needs to be set to meet your
    >> design goals, not "everything". If there is a browser style sheet or a
    >> user style sheet that sets a border on BODY, then we should assume that
    >> there is very good reason to that, and avoid interfering with it.

    >An illustrative case in point: A car rental agency wrote me an HTML rental
    >confirmation email with just such a massive upfront style sheet reset.
    >Reading that email in my mail service provider's webmail UI, that reset
    >effectively wiped out ALL the HTML navigation- and message-manipulation-
    >controls of that webmail UI. No straightforward way to Print the message
    >(other than by screen-scrape), no way to Reply to it, no way to go on to
    >the Next message, no way to Log Out of the email account, ... . "Caramba!"
    >
    >No, I never rented from them again :) .

    Thank you. I have submitted your post to the RISKS List.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Mar 26, 2013