Re-creating a Registration Page ?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mel Smith, Jan 19, 2009.

  1. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Hi:

    Scenario:
    My new user submits a registration page to my server (either incomplete
    or incorrect input in some fields).

    I wish to 'rebuild' this complex registration page using the original
    page *plus* fill-in user's submitted data back into the original page, then
    send it back at him with an error message to correct it and re-submit.

    Leaving out the usage of Javascript at the client's end (for now), is
    there a 'classic' way to do this ?? or how do *you* folks do it ?

    (if not, then I am faced with rebuilding the Reg Page in my CGI program
    (using user's inputs instead of my original 'blank' fields), which is a
    *lot* of string manipulation for each input field)

    I wonder if I could start up an instance of IE on my *server*, then
    learn about innerhtml stuff and do the replacement of fields somehow -- What
    a hope :((

    Also it would be nice if I could leave an invisible unique marker in
    front of each of perhaps 20 input fields so later I could find the values I
    need to replace during parsing.

    Thanks,
    --
    Mel Smith
    Mel Smith, Jan 19, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mel Smith

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 19 Jan 2009, "Mel Smith" <> wrote:

    > Hi:
    >
    > Scenario:
    > My new user submits a registration page to my server (either
    > incomplete
    > or incorrect input in some fields).
    >
    > I wish to 'rebuild' this complex registration page using the
    > original
    > page *plus* fill-in user's submitted data back into the original
    > page, then send it back at him with an error message to correct it
    > and re-submit.
    >
    > Leaving out the usage of Javascript at the client's end (for
    > now), is
    > there a 'classic' way to do this ?? or how do *you* folks do it ?
    >
    > (if not, then I am faced with rebuilding the Reg Page in my CGI
    > program
    > (using user's inputs instead of my original 'blank' fields), which is
    > a *lot* of string manipulation for each input field)
    >
    > I wonder if I could start up an instance of IE on my *server*,
    > then
    > learn about innerhtml stuff and do the replacement of fields somehow
    > -- What a hope :((
    >
    > Also it would be nice if I could leave an invisible unique marker
    > in
    > front of each of perhaps 20 input fields so later I could find the
    > values I need to replace during parsing.


    Php is made for this. Conditionals on each field can "reload" the page
    (with fields) until correct.

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
    Neredbojias, Jan 19, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Neredbojias said:
    >
    > Php is made for this. Conditionals on each field can "reload" the page
    > (with fields) until correct.


    Neredbojias:

    Unfortunately (or fortunately), my CGI app is written in a c-type
    languafe *xharbour -- www.xharbour.com), so I'm using that instead.

    However, in the last few hours I've discovered a new method/technique
    for doing this.

    It involves an 'automation object' in my xharbour language that produces
    an instance of an IE class, then I can 'get()' and 'set()' fields.

    Altho I havern't got it 'aced' yet, it looks like:

    ********************************************
    oIE:Visible := .F.
    cWebSite := "\CGI\FORMS\TEST.HTM"

    oIE:Navigate(cWebSite)
    while oIE:busy
    SecondsSleep(1.00)
    ENDDO
    x := oIE:document:getElementByID("uemail")
    // now since x is an 'object'

    cStr := x:get("value")
    x:set("value","a new email")

    cStr := x:get("value")
    alert("new email="+cStr)

    // etcetera ...

    oIE:QUIT()

    It seems to work correctly. But, I've got to do extensive testing.

    (I hate to contemplate 100 users arriving simultaneously, and me starting up
    100 instances of IE --- Arggg)

    Sorry to trouble you folks.

    -Mel Smith
    Mel Smith, Jan 20, 2009
    #3
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 20, 2009
    #4
  5. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Mel Smith, Jan 20, 2009
    #5
  6. Mel Smith

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 19 Jan 2009, "Mel Smith" <> wrote:

    > Neredbojias said:
    >>
    >> Php is made for this. Conditionals on each field can "reload" the
    >> page (with fields) until correct.

    >
    > Neredbojias:
    >
    > Unfortunately (or fortunately), my CGI app is written in a c-type
    > languafe *xharbour -- www.xharbour.com), so I'm using that instead.
    >
    > However, in the last few hours I've discovered a new
    > method/technique
    > for doing this.
    >
    > It involves an 'automation object' in my xharbour language that
    > produces
    > an instance of an IE class, then I can 'get()' and 'set()' fields.
    >
    > Altho I havern't got it 'aced' yet, it looks like:
    >
    > ********************************************
    > oIE:Visible := .F.
    > cWebSite := "\CGI\FORMS\TEST.HTM"
    >
    > oIE:Navigate(cWebSite)
    > while oIE:busy
    > SecondsSleep(1.00)
    > ENDDO
    > x := oIE:document:getElementByID("uemail")
    > // now since x is an 'object'
    >
    > cStr := x:get("value")
    > x:set("value","a new email")
    >
    > cStr := x:get("value")
    > alert("new email="+cStr)
    >
    > // etcetera ...
    >
    > oIE:QUIT()
    >
    > It seems to work correctly. But, I've got to do extensive testing.
    >
    > (I hate to contemplate 100 users arriving simultaneously, and me
    > starting up 100 instances of IE --- Arggg)
    >
    > Sorry to trouble you folks.


    Well, as unfamiliar with xharbour as I am, it seems like you're using a
    procedure relatively similar to what I suggested with php. Not sure
    how good it is to create many instances of IE, but...

    --
    Neredbojias
    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    The road to Heaven is paved with bad intentions.
    Neredbojias, Jan 20, 2009
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. NWx
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    530
    Saravana [MVP]
    Feb 13, 2004
  2. blantz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    372
    =?Utf-8?B?c2t5SGk=?=
    Dec 2, 2004
  3. Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]

    Registration Confirmation Page

    Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP], Dec 8, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    773
    Greg Collins [InfoPath MVP]
    Dec 10, 2004
  4. Paul Evans

    Redirect visitors to registration page

    Paul Evans, Dec 21, 2004, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    340
    =?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=
    Dec 21, 2004
  5. =?Utf-8?B?WXV2YQ==?=

    Failed creating table cache dependency registration

    =?Utf-8?B?WXV2YQ==?=, May 9, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    592
    =?Utf-8?B?WXV2YQ==?=
    May 9, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page