    http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ for CSS and
    http://www.cynthiasays.com/mynewtester/ for accessibility.

    +mrcakey

    +mrcakey, Oct 14, 2008

  2. +mrcakey

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Oct 14, 8:13 pm, "+mrcakey" <> wrote:
    > As for testing your design in various browsers/platforms,http://browsershots.org/is invaluable, although that gives you only a
    > screenshot and not a complete "feel" for how your site is interpreted by the
    > various configurations.
    >
    > An interesting learning exercise might be (people may disagree here) to code
    > up a site, then try to validate it usinghttp://validator.w3.org/for HTML,http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/for CSS andhttp://www.cynthiasays.com/mynewtester/for accessibility.

    Yes, that does look good, although I use The Wave accessibility
    checker for that last step. That checks against the W3C WCAG which is
    more rellavant hear in Australia.

    Chaddy2222, Oct 14, 2008

  3. What about DIV's - are they safe to use or would we still have to stick
    in little extra snippets to allow for different browsers?

    Barely Audible, Oct 14, 2008
  4. +mrcakey

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    On Oct 14, 10:25 pm, Barely Audible <> wrote:
    > What about DIV's - are they safe to use or would we still have to stick
    > in little extra snippets to allow for different browsers?

    It is not the div tags themselves, or actually it is a particular web
    browser that is the main problem, that browser being IE. Every other
    browser obays the W3C guidelines for HTML and CSS, at least to a large
    degree of them, some are better then others.
    But Internet Explorer is still the werst web browser for NOT doing
    what the spec says a web browser should do.

    Chaddy2222, Oct 14, 2008
  5. +mrcakey

    Bergamot Guest

    Barely Audible wrote:
    > What about DIV's - are they safe to use or would we still have to stick
    > in little extra snippets to allow for different browsers?

    It's not the div element that is "safe" or not - it's how it's styled.
    That's true for pretty much any element, not just div.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Oct 14, 2008
  6. Chaddy2222 wrote:
    > On Oct 14, 10:25 pm, Barely Audible <> wrote:
    >> What about DIV's - are they safe to use or would we still have to stick
    >> in little extra snippets to allow for different browsers?

    > It is not the div tags themselves, or actually it is a particular web
    > browser that is the main problem, that browser being IE. Every other
    > browser obays the W3C guidelines for HTML and CSS, at least to a large
    > degree of them, some are better then others.
    > But Internet Explorer is still the werst web browser for NOT doing
    > what the spec says a web browser should do.
    > --
    > Regards Chad. http://freewebdesignonline.org

    Interesting and not much has changed then!

    if you guys were styling a div element what code would you use to ensure
    that the display was the same in each browser?

    Barely Audible, Oct 14, 2008
  7. Barely Audible wrote:

    > if you guys were styling a div element what code would you use to ensure
    > that the display was the same in each browser?

    It depends on what you mean by "same in each browser". If you mean to
    the absolute pixel exact then you are doomed to fail. But then one can
    approach the design where the differences will not matter. The Web is a
    media where "absolutes" are not in your control. You have no control
    over the fonts at your disposal, the canvas size of your page or even if
    your page will be displayed graphically. Now that said, life as a
    designer would be far easier if MS's browser would play nice with HTML
    and CSS recommendations so that display behavior could be a bit more
    predictable. Code forks of the 90's was a bitch, and in this millennium
    we have most removed that necessity except for the IE browser...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 14, 2008
  8. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Barely Audible wrote:
    >
    >> if you guys were styling a div element what code would you use to ensure
    >> that the display was the same in each browser?

    > It depends on what you mean by "same in each browser". If you mean to
    > the absolute pixel exact then you are doomed to fail. But then one can
    > approach the design where the differences will not matter. The Web is a
    > media where "absolutes" are not in your control. You have no control
    > over the fonts at your disposal, the canvas size of your page or even if
    > your page will be displayed graphically. Now that said, life as a
    > designer would be far easier if MS's browser would play nice with HTML
    > and CSS recommendations so that display behavior could be a bit more
    > predictable. Code forks of the 90's was a bitch, and in this millennium
    > we have most removed that necessity except for the IE browser...

    Thanks Jonathan - I think I learnt more about coding in your message
    than I have on the previous three months...

    Barely Audible, Oct 14, 2008