Re: CSS and links

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Hi,

    By the process of poking various fingers onto keys rf generated this:

    >> This is link 1 | This is link 2 | This is the
    >> last of the links

    > This is link 1 | This is link 2 |
    > This is the last of the links
    >
    > That is what a non-breaking space is for.

    If that is positioned fine for a resolution of 1024 x 768, will the nbsp's
    still work if the resolution is dropped to 800x600 correctly? The last
    time I tried doing that (admittedly, it was around 1997), dropping and
    upping between resolutions would break the nbsp formatting.

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    rf Guest

    "Paul F. Johnson" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > By the process of poking various fingers onto keys rf generated this:
    >
    > >> This is link 1 | This is link 2 | This is the
    > >> last of the links

    > > This&nbsp;is&nbsp;link&nbsp;1&nbsp;|

    This&nbsp;is&nbsp;link&nbsp;2&nbsp;|
    > > This&nbsp;is&nbsp;the&nbsp;last&nbsp;of&nbsp;the&nbsp;links
    > >
    > > That is what a non-breaking space is for.

    > If that is positioned fine for a resolution of 1024 x 768, will the nbsp's
    > still work if the resolution is dropped to 800x600 correctly? The last
    > time I tried doing that (admittedly, it was around 1997), dropping and
    > upping between resolutions would break the nbsp formatting.

    Er, why don't you try it and see.

    For purposes of wordwrapping there are exactly three words up there,
    separated by two spaces. (well, one of those spaces got converted by the
    newsreader into a cr/lf but it is still white space). Those three words will
    wrap or not at any canvas width(*). When the canvas is narrower then the
    longest word (the last one) a horizontal scroll bar will appear.

    If a browser behaves any differently then it is broken :)

    (*) "resolution" has nothing to do with this. It is browser canvas width
    that matters.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Jun 24, 2003