Re: CSS for positioning

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, May 9, 2010.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Alfred Molon <> wrote:

    > My site uses tables for layout. I was experimenting yesterday with CSS
    > for positioning and ran into problems.
    >
    > More specifically I was trying to convert this table-based page:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/part2.html
    > (ignore the links which do not work)
    >
    > Here is as far as I got:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/
    >
    > There are the following problems:

    It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

    <http://validator.w3.org/>

    > 4. One more question: does it really make sense to convert a table-based
    > layout of a thumbnail page like this for instance
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Jordan/Jerash/
    >
    > to a CSS-based layout?

    Apart from yes if it is easy for you, no.

    > It would seem that for that page using tables for layout is much
    > simpler, or what do you think?

    For just those few pics, it does not matter greatly but a non
    table fluid design using floats or better inline-blocks would be
    superior and better practice.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 9, 2010

  2. dorayme

    rf Guest

    <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    > On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >> In article<>, dorayme
    >> says...
    >>> It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

    >> I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
    >> transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
    >> Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

    > Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
    > interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

    OH NO, Not Again! :)

    > Simple answer:
    > Leave it in tables and format those tables via css.

    Nope.
    rf, May 9, 2010

  3. dorayme

    rf Guest

    "rf" <> wrote in message

    > <sheldonlg> wrote in message
    >> On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    >>> In article<>, dorayme
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>> I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
    >>> transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
    >>> Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

    >> Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
    >> interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

    > OH NO, Not Again! :)
    >

    >> Simple answer:
    >> Leave it in tables and format those tables via css.

    > Nope.

    Sorry Sheldon. Pressed enter too quickly on that one.

    <restart>

    Nope.

    See my reply to the OP.

    There are much better ways to present thumbnails than a table. And not just
    because "tables are for tabular data".

    A grid of thumbnails that will fill the entire canvas is the ultimate goal.

    It's been discussed quite a bit and the solution is inline-block. Of course
    IE does not like inline-block being applied to anything that is not already
    inline to start with so choices are limited, but available.
    rf, May 9, 2010
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    sheldonlg <sheldonlg> wrote:

    > On 5/9/2010 6:48 AM, Alfred Molon wrote:
    > > In article<>, dorayme
    > > says...
    > >> It has too many validation errors to be simply ignored.

    > > I've now added the missing style sheet and set the document to
    > > transitional. No more validation errors, but all layout problems except
    > > Nr 2. still are there. What needs to be done?

    > Basically you are asking the same thing that I asked when I started the
    > interminable thread of "I have a problem with this".

    When you asked the oq you only asked about "a big space between
    the first item on in the center on the top and second item." and
    "Any help would be appreciated."

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 9, 2010
  5. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    On Sun, 09 May 2010 13:41:34 GMT
    "rf" <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > There are much better ways to present thumbnails than a table.
    > And not just because "tables are for tabular data".
    >
    > A grid of thumbnails that will fill the entire canvas is the
    > ultimate goal.
    >
    > It's been discussed quite a bit and the solution is
    > inline-block. Of course IE does not like inline-block being
    > applied to anything that is not already inline to start with so
    > choices are limited, but available.

    IE does inline-block just fine. IE 6/7 for block level elements just
    need a bit of help.

    display:inline; zoom:1;

    --
    BootNic Sun May 9, 2010 10:49 pm
    Happiness is not something you experience, it's something you

    â• 64 days remaining

    BootNic, May 10, 2010