Re: CSS for positioning

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jenn, May 9, 2010.

  1. Jenn

    Jenn Guest

    "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    > My site uses tables for layout. I was experimenting yesterday with CSS
    > for positioning and ran into problems.
    >
    > More specifically I was trying to convert this table-based page:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/part2.html
    > (ignore the links which do not work)
    >
    > Here is as far as I got:
    > http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/
    >
    > There are the following problems:
    >
    > 1. The round logo on the top menu bar on the right should be aligned
    > vertically with the "Jordan 2009-10 Travelogue" header. No problem with
    > a table, but with CSS I had to give the logo an absolute position, which
    > is not good design in my opinion. How to position the logo correctly
    > without using an absolute position?
    >
    > 2. The vertical menu bar on the left should have rounded corners. But
    > the top and bottom gifs with the rounded corners are now not adjacent
    > with the vertical menu bar, no idea why. How to make them adjacent?
    >
    > 3. Then there is the mess with the central part of the page. It should
    > appear as shown on first link I posted (the one with the table-based
    > layout). What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > 4. One more question: does it really make sense to convert a table-based
    > layout of a thumbnail page like this for instance
    > http://www.molon.de/galleries/Jordan/Jerash/
    >
    > to a CSS-based layout?
    >
    > It would seem that for that page using tables for layout is much
    > simpler, or what do you think?

    What is the purpose of the site? Is it meant to be professional in the look
    and layout, or just a casual site for fun?

    I would work on changing the lay-out to flow better, first, and probably
    combine some CSS elements you are comfortable with using to format links and
    text, and if you're comfortable using those things, you could use some CSS
    to format your tables & td's. Nothing to complicated to do. I love to use
    tables, and use that system at the moment.

    Most of all, I think the page could have a better layout and better
    functionality, but again, that would be dependent on if you want it to look
    more professional in it's layout or more casual.
    --
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)

    Jenn, May 9, 2010

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Jenn"
    <> writing in

    > "Alfred Molon" <> wrote in message
    >> My site uses tables for layout. I was experimenting yesterday with
    >> CSS for positioning and ran into problems.
    >>
    >> More specifically I was trying to convert this table-based page:
    >> http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/part2.html
    >> (ignore the links which do not work)
    >>
    >> Here is as far as I got:
    >> http://www.molon.de/test/csspo/
    >>
    >> There are the following problems:
    >>
    >> 1. The round logo on the top menu bar on the right should be aligned
    >> vertically with the "Jordan 2009-10 Travelogue" header. No problem
    >> with a table, but with CSS I had to give the logo an absolute
    >> position, which is not good design in my opinion. How to position the
    >> logo correctly without using an absolute position?
    >>
    >> 2. The vertical menu bar on the left should have rounded corners. But
    >> the top and bottom gifs with the rounded corners are now not adjacent
    >> with the vertical menu bar, no idea why. How to make them adjacent?
    >>
    >> 3. Then there is the mess with the central part of the page. It
    >> should appear as shown on first link I posted (the one with the
    >> table-based layout). What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> 4. One more question: does it really make sense to convert a
    >> table-based layout of a thumbnail page like this for instance
    >> http://www.molon.de/galleries/Jordan/Jerash/
    >>
    >> to a CSS-based layout?
    >>
    >> It would seem that for that page using tables for layout is much
    >> simpler, or what do you think?

    > What is the purpose of the site? Is it meant to be professional in the
    > look and layout, or just a casual site for fun?

    It says it's a Travelouge right in the header. It's more of a blog.
    Blogs are often on business sites, but the content reflects the opinions
    and/or actions of the article's author.

    > I would work on changing the lay-out to flow better, first, and
    > probably combine some CSS elements you are comfortable with using to
    > format links and text, and if you're comfortable using those things,
    > you could use some CSS to format your tables & td's. Nothing to
    > complicated to do. I love to use tables, and use that system at the
    > moment.

    I agree with some of this. There is a lot of inline CSS going on here
    that would be better put in an external stylesheet.

    I would also change the left and right menus to use list markup. You
    can style them to not use markers.

    It would also be better to use paragraphs instead of <br>. BR is a line
    break, which might be used in an address, not to separate paragraphs.
    If the margins are not to the author's liking, CSS is the way to go, for
    example, lines 147 to 154 are all br's.

    I don't see any table markup in the second link the OP provided, and
    that is the relavent page.

    > Most of all, I think the page could have a better layout and better
    > functionality, but again, that would be dependent on if you want it to
    > look more professional in it's layout or more casual.

    I think having the content "below the fold" is a problem. Perhaps the
    map could be smaller, and float left of the content, with a link to a
    larger image - heck maybe some fancy larger on mouseover like Ebay.\

    To the OP, really interesting reading. Are pictures coming soon?

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services

    Adrienne Boswell, May 9, 2010