Re: CSS2 Way Too Complicated

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Mark Parnell, Jul 17, 2004.

  1. Mark Parnell

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Kris wrote:
    > Is something that is difficult but totally right still better than
    > something that is simple but almost totally right?

    Depends. If the "almost" bit is fundamental to the topic, yes. If it is
    only a minor inconsistency, then in most cases no.

    > Your statement is an excuse for elitism.

    That wasn't its intention. As others have said, the specs are exactly
    that - specifications, not a tutorial. It is a pity that there aren't
    any _really_ good tutorials out there, which is why people get pointed
    to the specs so often.
    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au

    Mark Parnell, Jul 17, 2004

  2. Mark Parnell

    Kris Guest

    In article <cd9ov9$>,
    "Mark Parnell" <> wrote:

    > Kris wrote:
    > > Is something that is difficult but totally right still better than
    > > something that is simple but almost totally right?

    > Depends. If the "almost" bit is fundamental to the topic, yes. If it is
    > only a minor inconsistency, then in most cases no.

    Others have already pointed out that making a topic better to understand
    by twisting the truth a little bit can be a good way to teach people
    something. Surely one cannot be opposed to good teaching ways?

    > > Your statement is an excuse for elitism.

    > That wasn't its intention.

    Not meant to offend. I was not saying you are elitist or you are using
    that as an excuse for elitism. It is however used as an excuse: the
    typical way of wrapping up a package so it cannot be used by members of
    a lesser mind.

    > As others have said, the specs are exactly
    > that - specifications, not a tutorial.

    Indeed.

    > It is a pity that there aren't
    > any _really_ good tutorials out there, which is why people get pointed
    > to the specs so often.

    Even good tutorials will have to refer to the specs, be it for authority
    or 'the next step up te ladder'.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)