Re: Current status of iostream.h

Discussion in 'C++' started by Tim Cambrant, Aug 23, 2003.

  1. Tim Cambrant

    Tim Cambrant Guest

    "Martin Dickopp" <> skrev i meddelandet
    > "Tim Cambrant" <> writes:
    >
    > > Hello, I'm relatively new to C, although I've touched the subject

    several
    > > times for a couple of years. Tutorials etc. always taught me that I

    should
    > > use (in the beginning at least) cin and cout when outputting text to the
    > > screen.
    > >
    > > Recently, when giving C another shot with the new GCC 3.3, I couldn't

    use
    > > the functions defined in iostream.h anymore. I don't remember the actual
    > > errors, but i think that the library had been separated into istream.h

    and
    > > ostream.h. I seem to recall a warning as well, when using any of the
    > > functions in those files.
    > >
    > > Is iostream getting deprecated, or was I just using it wrong? I'm using

    GCC
    > > 2.95.4 at the moment, so I can't recreate the errors again for now. I

    do,
    > > however, want to know if I should use iostream for file-io etc. or if
    > > another library has taken it's place.
    > >
    > > I like to be aware of how to do things the "right" way, and following
    > > standards and so on, so a change of this caliber might as well catch my
    > > radar now, so I won't have that problem the next time I'm confronted

    with a
    > > newer GCC-version.
    > >
    > > Any answers to this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > You are wrong here in comp.lang.c. This is a C++ question, not a C

    question.

    > -> Fullquote, X-Post & Fup: comp.lang.c++
    >
    > Martin

    This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
    C-library.
    Tim Cambrant, Aug 23, 2003

  2. Tim Cambrant

    Artie Gold Guest

    Tim Cambrant wrote:
    > "Martin Dickopp" <> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >>"Tim Cambrant" <> writes:
    >>

    >>>Hello, I'm relatively new to C, although I've touched the subject

    > several
    >
    >>>times for a couple of years. Tutorials etc. always taught me that I

    > should
    >
    >>>use (in the beginning at least) cin and cout when outputting text to the
    >>>screen.
    >>>
    >>>Recently, when giving C another shot with the new GCC 3.3, I couldn't

    > use
    >
    >>>the functions defined in iostream.h anymore. I don't remember the actual
    >>>errors, but i think that the library had been separated into istream.h

    > and
    >
    >>>ostream.h. I seem to recall a warning as well, when using any of the
    >>>functions in those files.
    >>>
    >>>Is iostream getting deprecated, or was I just using it wrong? I'm using

    > GCC
    >
    >>>2.95.4 at the moment, so I can't recreate the errors again for now. I

    > do,
    >
    >>>however, want to know if I should use iostream for file-io etc. or if
    >>>another library has taken it's place.
    >>>
    >>>I like to be aware of how to do things the "right" way, and following
    >>>standards and so on, so a change of this caliber might as well catch my
    >>>radar now, so I won't have that problem the next time I'm confronted

    > with a
    >
    >>>newer GCC-version.
    >>>
    >>>Any answers to this matter would be appreciated. Thank you.

    >>You are wrong here in comp.lang.c. This is a C++ question, not a C

    > question.
    >
    >>-> Fullquote, X-Post & Fup: comp.lang.c++
    >>
    >>Martin

    > This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
    > C-library.

    No it's a pre-standard C++ _header_.

    Please see my other reply.

    HTH,
    --ag

    --
    Artie Gold -- Austin, Texas
    Artie Gold, Aug 23, 2003

  3. Tim Cambrant

    Rolf Magnus Guest

    Tim Cambrant wrote:

    > This is a C-question though, since I thought that iostream.h was a
    > C-library.

    It is neither a library, nor is it C. It used to be a C++ header in the
    days before C++ was standardized.
    Rolf Magnus, Aug 23, 2003