Re: Data storage Py 3.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Irmen de Jong, Apr 3, 2013.

  1. On 4-4-2013 0:33, Joe Hill wrote:
    > IDLE wants to use Python33 as the data storage folder - with exe files
    > etc.
    > Typically the 'default data storage' is in 'last used' directory or most
    > programs even have a browse setting that one can quickly set and reset.
    >
    > What do people here generally do?
    >
    > When I installed 3.3, (W7- 64) I selected the first option for paths etc.
    > and everything seems to just run fine

    Don't store your files in the Python33 directory even though it is idle's default
    suggestion.

    I have my Python code sitting in appropriate subdirectories of a 'Projects' folder
    somewhere (on a different drive on my Windows system, or just a subfolder in my
    homedirectory on my Linux VM).

    I don't use idle myself, but you can simply browse to the appropriate folder and file
    location. Idle will remember that location for the next time you use the file dialog.

    Irmen
    Irmen de Jong, Apr 3, 2013

  2. On 4/3/2013 6:53 PM, Irmen de Jong wrote:
    > On 4-4-2013 0:33, Joe Hill wrote:
    >> IDLE wants to use Python33 as the data storage folder - with exe files
    >> etc.
    >> Typically the 'default data storage' is in 'last used' directory or most
    >> programs even have a browse setting that one can quickly set and reset.
    >>
    >> What do people here generally do?
    >>
    >> When I installed 3.3, (W7- 64) I selected the first option for paths etc.
    >> and everything seems to just run fine

    I have a c:\Programs folder where I put multiple versions of python and
    selected other programs whose directories I might want to visit.

    > Don't store your files in the Python33 directory even though it is idle's default
    > suggestion.

    I once did that, but then I had to move stuff when the Python x.y
    directory became obsolete. It was also a problem when I wanted to test a
    file with more than one python version.

    > I have my Python code sitting in appropriate subdirectories of a 'Projects' folder
    > somewhere (on a different drive on my Windows system, or just a subfolder in my
    > homedirectory on my Linux VM).

    I have a file tem.py in my miscellaneous python directory. When I am
    writing possibly throwaway code, I open it from the recent files list,
    empty the old code, and go. I can always save as another name if I want
    to keep the code. tem.py is almost always on the list because I use it
    frequently.
    Terry Jan Reedy, Apr 4, 2013