Re: Data Structures and Algorithms using C++

Discussion in 'C++' started by Victor Bazarov, Jun 2, 2010.

  1. On 6/2/2010 6:26 AM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
    > Searched Amazon and got a whole lot of books, don't know which one to pick.
    > Would like to have something which is as good as "Data Structures and
    > Algorithms in Java" by Lafore.

    I am not familiar with it, unfortunately. Besides, "good" is
    subjective, so your "as good as" might not be actually my "good"...

    > Don't have a lot of money to spend in experimentation, hence this post.

    Check out www.accu.org, their book review section. You also can use (to
    some extent) the reviews on Amazon itself. Discard the worst and the
    best, if more than 5 remain, you can more or less rely on them.

    Standard library itself already contains some algorithms and data
    structures. To learn about them, get a copy of "The C++ Standard
    Library" by Josuttis. What exactly are you looking for in a book on
    data structures and algorithms? Which algorithms are you interested in?
    Often it's easier to find decent algorithms in special books and not
    in generic language-oriented ones.

    Victor Bazarov, Jun 2, 2010

  2. Victor Bazarov

    osmium Guest

    Mayuresh Kathe wrote:

    > Ah, in that case, would the "Introduction to Algorithms" from MIT
    > Press be a good choice?
    > http://mitpress.mit.edu/catalog/item/default.asp?ttype=2&tid=11866&mode=toc

    I don't own the book but had it (Cormen) on loan for several weeks and I
    think it is a good choice. If I were going to buy another book on the
    subject, this is the one I would buy.

    My favorite book is out of print, _Data Structures with Abstract Data Types
    and Pascal_ by Daniel Stubbs et al. I prefer a language neutral approach
    (pseudo code) but one can't have everything and I used to know Pascal.
    Pascal is close enough to psuedocode that most people could "automatically"
    handle it WRT *reading* it.

    osmium, Jun 2, 2010

  3. Victor Bazarov

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2010-06-02, Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > On 6/2/2010 6:26 AM, Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
    >> Searched Amazon and got a whole lot of books, don't know which one to pick.
    >> Would like to have something which is as good as "Data Structures and
    >> Algorithms in Java" by Lafore.

    > I am not familiar with it, unfortunately. Besides, "good" is
    > subjective, so your "as good as" might not be actually my "good"...

    It is not clear if he owns the Lafore book already. If he does,
    perhaps he doesn't need another book which teaches data structures in
    C++?

    >> Don't have a lot of money to spend in experimentation, hence this post.

    > Check out www.accu.org, their book review section. You also can use (to
    > some extent) the reviews on Amazon itself. Discard the worst and the
    > best, if more than 5 remain, you can more or less rely on them.
    >
    > Standard library itself already contains some algorithms and data
    > structures. To learn about them, get a copy of "The C++ Standard
    > Library" by Josuttis.

    Maybe it's just me, but I rely heavily on the SGI "Standard Template
    Library Programmer's Guide":

    http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/

    I realize it doesn't describe the standard perfectly, but it's a very
    good reference, with good layout.

    > What exactly are you looking for in a book on
    > data structures and algorithms? Which algorithms are you interested in?
    > Often it's easier to find decent algorithms in special books and not
    > in generic language-oriented ones.

    Yeah.

    /Jorgen

    --