Re: dbf.py API question

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ole Martin Bjørndalen, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 5:55 PM, Ethan Furman <> wrote:
    > SQLite has a neat feature where if you give it a the file-name of ':memory:'
    > the resulting table is in memory and not on disk. I thought it was a cool
    > feature, but expanded it slightly: any name surrounded by colons results in
    > an in-memory table.
    >
    > I'm looking at the same type of situation with indices, but now I'm
    > wondering if the :name: method is not pythonic and I should use a flag
    > (in_memory=True) when memory storage instead of disk storage is desired.
    >
    > Thoughts?

    I agree that the flag would be more pythonic in dbf.py.

    I was not aware that you are adding sqlite functionality to your
    library. This is very cool!

    I have been through the same questions with my own DBF library, and
    I've come to some conclusions: First, I decided to make the library
    read-only and in-memory. That is all we need in-house anyway. Second,
    I decided to make an external tool for converting DBF files to sqlite:

    https://github.com/olemb/dbfget/blob/master/extras/dbf2sqlite

    (To anyone reading: I have not yet made a public announcement of
    dbfget, but I will shortly. Consider this an informal announcement:
    https://github.com/olemb/dbfget/ )

    I am considering adding a "streaming=True" flag which would make the
    table class a record generator, and a "save()" method which would
    allow you to save data back to the file, or to a new file if you
    provide an optional file name. In fact, I had this functionality in
    earlier versions, but decided to chuck it out in order to make the API
    as clean as possible.

    I hope this can help you somehow in your decision making process.

    Ole Martin Bjørndalen, Aug 5, 2012