Re: DBMS versus XML APIs (was "any (preferably open source) staticanalysis tool or methodologies/stu

Discussion in 'XML' started by Joe Kesselman, Sep 27, 2011.

  1. Uhm... your subject line seems to have nothing to do with the subject
    being discussed. Also,fwiw, it would be more convenient for folks if you
    kept this in a single discussion thread rather than starting a new one
    every time you reply... and making it convenient is one of the better
    ways to encourage good answers.

    On 9/27/2011 8:11 AM, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
    >> Why folks use SAX and DOM: Not every application needs a DBMS.

    > ~ If you are trying to handle large XML documents (which seems to be
    > the case with every business anyway)

    Every business, yes. Every application, no. It's certainly not true for
    many of us working in the middleware layers, or for transactional systems.

    If it's true for every application you're working with, blessings upon
    you and have fun.

    > most naive question you constantly find regarding using DOM is: but
    > ... why can I not do this (with a minimally larger document) now? ~

    Again, this is all extremely dependent upon the context you're working
    in. And frankly, that's far from the most common question I've had to
    field -- and I'm one of the authors of the DOM Recommendation. (Note
    that despite this I do not claim that the DOM is the right tool for all
    tasks; it's one approach which is applicable for many tasks.)

    There's no reason importing into a database should be any faster than
    process of doing so... and the DB takes more code and memory space to
    operate. That difference may not matter for your applications; it does
    for others.

    I'm afraid there really isn't a single best answer. Wrenches make lousy
    hammers, hammers make lousy screwdrivers, screwdrivers make lousy
    wrenches. Learn to use a variety of tools, and pick the best one
    available for the actual task you're trying to perform. Or try to use a
    single tool for everything, and risk being beaten in the market by
    someone who found a better solution.

    The DBMS approach is one reasonable choice. It may not be the best choice.

    If it was easy, they wouldn't pay us to do it. <smile/>

    --
    Joe Kesselman,

    Joe Kesselman, Sep 27, 2011