Re: DBMSs internally supporting XML ...

Discussion in 'XML' started by BGB, Sep 24, 2011.

  1. BGB

    BGB Guest

    On 9/23/2011 6:05 PM, lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
    > DBMSs internally supporting XML ...
    > ~
    > I constantly hear about DBMSs internally supporting XML and I wonder then why do people use SAX or DOM when they could import and XML file into a DBMS and work with the data right there?
    > ~
    > Or what do they mean that you can just read a whole XML data feed into a table column?
    > ~
    > lbrtchx

    AFAIK, it depends a lot on context.

    some DBMS's allow importing/exporting tables as XML (vs CSV or similar).
    some DBMS's allow XML as a data-type (stick globs of XML into columns).

    in other cases, it is an "XML database" which typically work by being
    accessed via XPath or XQuery or similar.

    SAX and DOM still have their uses, as not every use-case for XML is also
    a good use-case for a DBMS (or vice versa). on may also find that
    working with a DMBS may also be far more awkward, or in some case, more
    costly, than just using SAX or DOM or similar.

    BGB, Sep 24, 2011