Re: DBMSs internally supporting XML ...

Discussion in 'XML' started by pete-q, Sep 24, 2011.

  1. pete-q

    pete-q Guest

    lbrt chx _ gemale wrote:
    > DBMSs internally supporting XML ...
    > ~
    > I constantly hear about DBMSs internally supporting XML and I wonder
    > then why do people use SAX or DOM when they could import and XML file
    > into a DBMS and work with the data right there?

    You could have mentioned more precicsely what DBMS you are referreing.
    Fir instance Wikipedia lists these as 'True' XML databases,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_database#Native_XML_databases
    Not even all these store their XML data as textual files but use their
    own formats, and from there inside you can find the XML structure.

    If I would need to access Excel XLS file, I could do whatever, most
    simple and available means, built in DBMS support or whatever, to read
    that XLS in. But I would not feel comfortable using that .XLS datasheet
    even as some partial database where I would also constantly write some
    stuff.

    I would guess (but do not know..) that lots of DBMS that offer built in
    XML support as side option will do it by giving you very thin and
    limited functionality.
    But once you have SAX source code in your possession, you know you can
    do _anything_ with those XML files, and know you can store it in
    standard XML format out.

    And of course, I would not want to start installing some heavy Oracle
    etc. environment to be able 'easily' access some XLS files.

    > Or what do they mean that you can just read a whole XML data
    > feed into a table column?

    This is not very clear what they are meaning to say. Could be that if
    you have some external XML file, you can read it in to a Memo/Blob style
    column in your Database, and access it from there afterwards. I do not
    know really.
    -PQ
    pete-q, Sep 24, 2011