Re: Dealing with pywin32 on Linux

Discussion in 'Python' started by Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens, Dec 15, 2010.

  1. Am 15.12.2010 13:58, schrieb Benedict Verheyen:
    > Hi,
    >

    > I'm moving my development environment (python, Django, virtualenv) from Windows
    > to Linux (Debian more specific). However, on one app (uses Django), i have a log on
    > module that uses AD to authenticate users.
    > It's based on the active_directory wrapper of Tim Golden.
    > That needs the win32 module but installation of pywin32 fails on importing:
    >
    > import _winreg
    > ImportError: No module named _winreg
    >
    > Kind of logical in hindsight :)
    >
    > However, this makes programming and testing under Linux a bit of a pain if you're
    > dealing with Windows specific stuff.
    > What is the correct way to proceed (i want to keep my development environment in Linux)?
    >
    > I could adjust my software modules to use the Linux counterparts of the AD functions
    > that i have to authenticate.
    > Or is there another way to deal with this?
    >
    > Thanks for any insight,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Benedict

    Just change to LDAP as authentication method.
    Even Active Directory offers LDAP (w/o SSL), and there
    are modules to interact with LDAP using python.
    And, it is platform indipendent.

    See here: http://www.python-ldap.org/

    I've done this quite often to auth users in an AD with apache/ldap-auth.

    Stefan Sonnenberg-Carstens, Dec 15, 2010