Re: Deployment tools using Python (was: unittest for system testing)

Discussion in 'Python' started by Dwight Hutto, Oct 18, 2012.

  1. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > Rita <> writes:
    >
    >> Currently, I use a shell script to test how my system behaves before I
    >> deploy an application. For instance, I check if fileA, fileB, and
    >> fileC exist and if they do I go and start up my application.

    > The operating system shell, or the deployment framework of choice, is
    > best suited to that I think.
    >
    >> This works great BUT
    >>
    >> I would like to use python and in particular unittest module to test my
    >> system and then deploy my app. I understand unittest is for functional
    >> testing

    >100000000000000000000000000000000000000000
    > Well, unittest is for unit testing (testing of small isolated units of
    > the code). There are many definitions of “functional testing”, and I
    > don't think ‘unittest’ is a good choice for any of them.
    >
    >> but I think this too would be a case for it.

    > Reserve the term “testing” for testing the code of your application, I'd
    > recommend. Libraries designed for “testing” are not good outside that
    > domain.
    >
    >> Any thoughts?

    The unittests are just a basic framework to build upon. Logging and
    testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
    pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

    --
    Best Regards,
    David Hutto

    Dwight Hutto, Oct 18, 2012

  2. Dwight Hutto

    alex23 Guest

    On Oct 18, 1:39 pm, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    > Logging and
    > testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
    > pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

    What is a pre-algorithm?

    alex23, Oct 18, 2012

  3. Dwight Hutto

    Dwight Hutto Guest

    On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 11:59 PM, alex23 <> wrote:
    > On Oct 18, 1:39 pm, Dwight Hutto <> wrote:
    >> Logging and
    >> testing your own functions/classes is something that come in the
    >> pre-algorithm of the app you wish to deploy.

    > What is a pre-algorithm?

    Pseudo code that shows what the actual algorithm will have. Like a
    rough draft algorithm. Tossing the idea around in your mind is what I
    meant.

    Dwight Hutto, Oct 18, 2012