Re: Derby won't start

Discussion in 'Java' started by Arne Vajhøj, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 03:50:37 +0000, Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    >> Derby was working fine. Now it won't start when I run
    >> startNetworkServer. I don't get any error or anything in the log. It
    >> just doesn't start.
    >>
    >> I've tried starting it without loading any databases. I don't even set
    >> a home directory. I've tried it as root.
    >>
    >> Nothing works. I just don't get a daemon running.
    >>
    >> This is with Java 1.6_05.
    >>
    >> Any ideas?

    > I hate to followup my own post, but I found the solution, without ever
    > finding the problem. I just reinstalled Java.. the exact same version,
    > and it started working again. The only thing I can think of that might
    > have caused the problem is that the derby jars had been added to the ext
    > directory of the old java installation. Is there any reason that this
    > would be an issue?

    Not that I can think of.

    But I can think of plenty of good reasons why not to put that type
    of jar files in ext.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Kenneth P. Turvey wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:40:46 -0400, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
    >>> I hate to followup my own post, but I found the solution, without ever
    >>> finding the problem. I just reinstalled Java.. the exact same version,
    >>> and it started working again. The only thing I can think of that might
    >>> have caused the problem is that the derby jars had been added to the
    >>> ext directory of the old java installation. Is there any reason that
    >>> this would be an issue?

    >> Not that I can think of.
    >>
    >> But I can think of plenty of good reasons why not to put that type of
    >> jar files in ext.

    > OK, what are they.
    >
    > All the java programs on the system on which it was running use derby, so
    > it makes sense on this system.
    >
    > Why would it not make sense elsewhere?

    If you install a new Java you need to remember to copy the jar file
    over or suddenly things stop working.

    If you suddenly get new versions one app that requires a newer version
    of Derby while other apps still require the old, then your scheme does
    not work any more.

    In some cases you can get classloader problems because the ext dir
    is high up in the classloader hierarchy.

    Putting jars in ext dir is like copying dlls to C:\Windows\system32.

    Don't do it.

    And the "it is not a problem for this system" does not hold water.

    You don't know what can happen to that system in the coming years
    regarding new apps coming in, old apps going out, software
    upgrades etc..

    It is good practice to be prepared for change.

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, Apr 20, 2008