Re: Designing a successor to C

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Dan Pop, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Dan Pop

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <slrnbff287.19oe.clint@poly.0lsen.net> Clint Olsen <> writes:

    >I certainly think so, but I'm sort of wondering if people are content
    >enough with C that they'd never switch, even if a compelling alternative
    >existed.

    I doubt that there are many competent C programmers that insist on using
    C where a compelling alternative exists. C is one tool in the
    programmer's toolkit and I doubt that there is another tool that could
    replace it. But a competent programmer's toolkit should contain more than
    one tool.

    >And even a technically superior alternative doesn't mean anything
    >- as someone else mentioned the x86 arch as a perfect example.

    It's actually a bad example. The only objective metrics for the merits
    of a general purpose computer architecture are the performance and
    price-performance ratio of its implementations. And the x86 architecture
    does remarkably well on both of them.

    But, as far as I can tell, the technically superior alternative to C, has
    yet to materialise. Well, for many people, it exists as GNU C.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group