Re: Designing a successor to C

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. Christian Bau wrote:
    > In article <slrnbf6mgp.19oe.clint@poly.0lsen.net>,
    > Clint Olsen <> wrote:
    >

    >>I did a Google search on this and got quite a few hits - esp. a rather
    >>large thread in '95. Having said that, has anyone even tried to rethink
    >>'portable assembly' and come up with another implementation? Does such an
    >>idea even have merit?

    > There has been a portable assembler language for several years now - it
    > is called JVM (Java Virtual Machine). Runs on zillions of different
    > processors. Quite difficult to translate C into that particular
    > assembler language though.

    <OT>
    Err... I would not start another holy war, but Python existed and was
    (really) portable some years before Java
    </OT>

    Anyway, Java bytecode *is not* a "portable assembler" in the OP (and
    usual definition of C language) meaning... A Java compiler produces
    (well... is supposed to produce) the same bytecode whichever the
    processor, which is not what we want here.

    Bruno

    Bruno Desthuilliers, Jul 1, 2003