Re: Developing for AWT/Swing and Android portability

Discussion in 'Java' started by Joerg Meier, Aug 14, 2013.

  1. Joerg Meier

    Joerg Meier Guest

    On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 00:20:57 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie wrote:

    > Are there any decent compatibility packages that would let a Java
    > graphical application compile and run on both Linux and Android platforms?

    > If not, are there any decent Android emulators that can be used to
    > develop Android graphical apps under Linux?

    As others have already answered your main question, I would just like to
    add that if you do GFX work, such as games, there are indeed abstraction
    layers that allow you to run the same graphics on your desktop as on
    Android.

    So if you are talking about a fullscreen game, and not about Android-Style
    menus and buttons and such, I recommend checking out libraries like LibGDX,
    which lets you run the same graphical code almost seamlessly on both
    desktop and Android (as well as HTML5), although obviously you are still
    constrained due to things like desktops physically not supporting something
    like the pinch gesture.

    Liebe Gruesse,
    Joerg

    ungelesen.
    Joerg Meier, Aug 14, 2013

  2. Joerg Meier

    markspace Guest

    On 8/14/2013 12:53 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:

    > One of the applications will only need to run as a desktop/laptop
    > application under Linux or Windows while the other one, while primarily
    > an Android app, should also be usable in the usual desktop/laptop
    > environments.

    jMonkey is an full 3D engine with mappings for OpenGL. It's probably
    gross overkill for your app, but if you scroll down on the links below,
    it lists Swing and Android compatibility, so if you're doing really
    heavy graphics rendering, it's a least something to consider.

    http://jmonkeyengine.org/engine/

    http://hub.jmonkeyengine.org/wiki/doku.php/jme3:android

    I cannot say how *well* it supports either, however.
    markspace, Aug 15, 2013