Re: dh, the daemon helper

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by vippstar@gmail.com, Nov 2, 2008.

  1. Guest

    On Nov 1, 8:58 pm, Nate Eldredge <> wrote:
    > writes:
    > > On Nov 1, 7:11 pm, Rainer Weikusat <> wrote:
    > >> Since programming initially running as this process is supposed to go
    > >> away 'soon' (it's only purpose is to start another program), there is
    > >> no point in returning memory to the malloc heap.

    > > You're wrong. IEEE 1003.1, 2004 doesn't guarantee that upon exit of
    > > the program the memory will be freed.

    > That is true, but I'd be inclined to regard that as a defect in the
    > standard. The description of _exit() is so explicit about the many
    > things it frees and destroys that it is hard to imagine the authors
    > intended to require it to do all that, but not do something as basic as
    > free the process's memory.

    Maybe it's for alignment with the C standard. Ie, describing that file
    descriptors are closed is OK because fds themselves are outside the
    scope of the C standard (but malloc is not)

    > Nevertheless, every IEEE-1003.1-compliant, or otherwise Unix-like,
    > operating system that I have ever encountered does indeed release the
    > process's memory when it exits, and this behavior is sufficiently
    > well-known and relied upon that any system that did not would be
    > regarded as unusable, IMHO. Are you aware of any counterexamples?

    Sorry, no. Perhaps someone over in comp.lang.c knows of some, I'm
    putting followups there.

    , Nov 2, 2008

  2. CBFalconer Guest

    wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Sorry, no. Perhaps someone over in comp.lang.c knows of some,
    > I'm putting followups there.

    You didn't cross-post and set follow-ups. So the originator of the
    query will never see your answer, unless you also committed the sin
    of multi-posting.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Nov 2, 2008

    On Nov 2, 11:09 pm, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    > ... snip ...
    >
    > > Sorry, no. Perhaps someone over in comp.lang.c knows of some,
    > > I'm putting followups there.

    > You didn't cross-post and set follow-ups. So the originator of the
    > query will never see your answer, unless you also committed the sin
    > of multi-posting.

    You're possibly right. I don't know how to do that with googles
    interface.
    I'm sorry for this.

    , Nov 2, 2008
  4. James Kuyper Guest

    wrote:
    > On Nov 2, 11:09 pm, CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> ... snip ...
    >>
    >>> Sorry, no. Perhaps someone over in comp.lang.c knows of some,
    >>> I'm putting followups there.

    >> You didn't cross-post and set follow-ups. So the originator of the
    >> query will never see your answer, unless you also committed the sin
    >> of multi-posting.

    > You're possibly right. I don't know how to do that with googles
    > interface.

    For best results when using Google, I click on the Options link, and
    then right-click on the 'Reply' link at the TOP of the message,
    selecting the "Open Link in New Window" option - your web-browser may
    have a different way of opening the link in a new window.

    You can cross post just by adding additional newsgroups to the "To:"
    list, separated by commas.
    You can change followups by selecting the link labeled "Add followup-to
    header" between the To: box and the Cc: box.

    James Kuyper, Nov 2, 2008
  5. wrote:
    > CBFalconer <> wrote:
    > > You didn't cross-post and set follow-ups.  So the
    > > originator of the query will never see your answer,
    > > unless you also committed the sin of multi-posting.

    > You're possibly right. I don't know how to do that
    > with googles interface.

    Same way you would with any other newsreader: enter
    comma separated list of newsgroups, and add a followup.

    --
    Peter

    Peter Nilsson, Nov 2, 2008
  6. James Kuyper Guest

    Peter Nilsson wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> CBFalconer <> wrote:
    >>> You didn't cross-post and set follow-ups. So the
    >>> originator of the query will never see your answer,
    >>> unless you also committed the sin of multi-posting.

    >> You're possibly right. I don't know how to do that
    >> with googles interface.

    > Same way you would with any other newsreader: enter
    > comma separated list of newsgroups, and add a followup.

    I use Thunderbird as my main newsreader. I'm not sure whether a comma
    delimited list is permitted. I'm using this message as a test by using a
    adding ", comp.unix.programmer" to the Newsgroup box at the top of the
    form. However, even if that works, the usual way I do it in Thunderbird
    is to click on a new header line, select "Newsgroup:" as the header
    type, and type in the second group name in the header value field.
    That's quite different from the way it's done in Google Groups.

    Saying "add a followup" doesn't really address the issue at all - the
    issue is how to actually do that. In Google Groups, you have to select a
    link titled "Add a followup-to", which adds a new box to the form where
    you can fill in multiple group names, separated by commas. In
    Thunderbird, for each group you want to add, you click on a new header
    line, select "Followup-To:" as the header type, and then type in the
    group name.

    James Kuyper, Nov 3, 2008