Re: dictionary

Discussion in 'Python' started by Hendrik van Rooyen, Oct 24, 2008.

  1. Steven D'Aprano <ste...-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:53:19 +0000, Peter Pearson wrote:
    >
    >> On 24 Oct 2008 13:17:45 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >>>
    >>> What are programmers coming to these days? When I was their age, we
    >>> were expected to *read* the error messages our compilers gave us, not
    >>> turn to the Interwebs for help as soon there was the tiniest problem.

    >>
    >> Yes, and what's more, the text of the error message was "IEH208". After
    >> reading it several times, one looked it up in a big fat set of books,
    >> where one found the explanation:
    >>
    >> IEH208: Your program contains an error. Correct the error and resubmit
    >> your job.
    >>
    >> An excellent system for purging the world of the weak and timid.

    >
    >You had reference books? You were lucky! When I was lad, we couldn't
    >afford reference books. If we wanted to know what an error code meant, we
    >had to rummage through the bins outside of compiler vendors' offices
    >looking for discarded documentation.


    eee! You were Lucky!

    You had Compilers!
    You had Compiler Vendors!

    When I was lad, we had nowt but raw hardware.
    We had to sit in cold room, ears deafened by
    whine of fan, clicking switches to load our
    octal in computer. We just had error light...

    - Hendrik
     
    Hendrik van Rooyen, Oct 24, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hendrik van Rooyen

    Bob Martin Guest

    in 86949 20081024 205720 "Hendrik van Rooyen" <> wrote:
    >Steven D'Aprano <ste...-this-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 14:53:19 +0000, Peter Pearson wrote:
    >>
    >>> On 24 Oct 2008 13:17:45 GMT, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>> What are programmers coming to these days? When I was their age, we
    >>>> were expected to *read* the error messages our compilers gave us, not
    >>>> turn to the Interwebs for help as soon there was the tiniest problem.
    >>>
    >>> Yes, and what's more, the text of the error message was "IEH208". After
    >>> reading it several times, one looked it up in a big fat set of books,
    >>> where one found the explanation:
    >>>
    >>> IEH208: Your program contains an error. Correct the error and resubmit
    >>> your job.
    >>>
    >>> An excellent system for purging the world of the weak and timid.

    >>
    >>You had reference books? You were lucky! When I was lad, we couldn't
    >>afford reference books. If we wanted to know what an error code meant, we
    >>had to rummage through the bins outside of compiler vendors' offices
    >>looking for discarded documentation.

    >
    >eee! You were Lucky!
    >
    >You had Compilers!
    >You had Compiler Vendors!
    >
    >When I was lad, we had nowt but raw hardware.
    >We had to sit in cold room, ears deafened by
    >whine of fan, clicking switches to load our
    >octal in computer. We just had error light...
    >
    >- Hendrik


    Computers? you had computers?
     
    Bob Martin, Oct 26, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Steve Holden" <> wrote:

    >
    > I don't ever remember programming to cope with equipment failure,
    > however. Did you make that bit up?


    Not at the bit level in my case - but I do remember doing silly things
    like multiplying after a divide (all integer arithmetic) to make sure the
    answer was right.

    And we routinely had a checksum record at the end of all files that one
    would check when reading in - it was made by adding everything in every
    record as a big binary number - almost a kind of vertical parity. And it
    caught stuff out too. Then you would just re run, and the error would
    often go away.

    It has left me permanently scarred.

    - Hendrik
     
    Hendrik van Rooyen, Oct 28, 2008
    #3
  4. Hendrik van Rooyen

    Steve Holden Guest

    Scott David Daniels wrote:
    > Hendrik van Rooyen wrote:
    >> ...
    >>
    >> You had Compilers!
    >> You had Compiler Vendors!
    >>
    >> When I was lad, we had nowt but raw hardware.
    >> We had to sit in cold room, ears deafened by
    >> whine of fan, clicking switches to load our
    >> octal in computer. We just had error light...

    >
    > You had octal! We just had oscilloscope traces shifting up and down.
    > If there wasn't a metal mask over the oscilloscope with marks where
    > the bits were, we'd have been in a world of hurt.
    >

    You were lucky! We had to imagine where the bits would have been if we'd
    had them. We only use to see real bits on Easter Sundays, if we'd been
    good all year. T'rest o' t'time we 'ad ter make do wi' pieces of stone.

    Bizarre though it may sound in this age of integrated circuits there
    really was a storage device that used a cathode ray tube to store (IIRC)
    a kilobit of information. It detected, by the use of a capacitance plate
    on the front of the tube, whether the bits in each position were 1 or 0
    by determining whether the beam was focused or defocused, since each had
    a different effect on the charge of the plate. It was a dynamic device,
    and only retained the information by writing back what was read
    continuously, just like any other dynamic memory.

    yorkshireman-ly y'rs - steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Holden Web LLC http://www.holdenweb.com/
     
    Steve Holden, Oct 28, 2008
    #4
  5. On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:31 -0400
    Steve Holden <> wrote:
    > Bizarre though it may sound in this age of integrated circuits there
    > really was a storage device that used a cathode ray tube to store (IIRC)
    > a kilobit of information. It detected, by the use of a capacitance plate


    A kilobit? One tube would carry one bit. Imagine the size of today's
    computers if we were still using them. In those days you were lucky to
    get 4 Kbytes of core memory.

    In those days they would have techs walking back and forth along
    pathways inside the memory banks with shopping carts full of tubes
    replacing them as they burned out. Programs had to be prepared to deal
    with the fact that bits could go dead at any time and functions would
    run multiple times and hold an election to determine the correct answer.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves
    http://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on
    +1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner.
     
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Oct 28, 2008
    #5
  6. Hendrik van Rooyen

    Steve Holden Guest

    D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
    > On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:06:31 -0400
    > Steve Holden <> wrote:
    >> Bizarre though it may sound in this age of integrated circuits there
    >> really was a storage device that used a cathode ray tube to store (IIRC)
    >> a kilobit of information. It detected, by the use of a capacitance plate

    >
    > A kilobit? One tube would carry one bit. Imagine the size of today's
    > computers if we were still using them. In those days you were lucky to
    > get 4 Kbytes of core memory.
    >
    > In those days they would have techs walking back and forth along
    > pathways inside the memory banks with shopping carts full of tubes
    > replacing them as they burned out. Programs had to be prepared to deal
    > with the fact that bits could go dead at any time and functions would
    > run multiple times and hold an election to determine the correct answer.
    >

    Sorry, you are thinking of bistable multivibrators. I was talking about
    the Wiliams tube store:

    http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/SEAC-Williams-tube-desc.html

    which I now see stored a half-kilobit in its SEAC implementation. They
    built them to be cheaper and more compact than the single-tube bit store
    (the single tube actually held two triodes in it), which would be used
    for accumulators and the like - the fast stuff.

    I don't ever remember programming to cope with equipment failure,
    however. Did you make that bit up?

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119
    Holden Web LLC http://www.holdenweb.com/
     
    Steve Holden, Oct 28, 2008
    #6
  7. On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 10:41:20 -0400
    Steve Holden <> wrote:
    > Sorry, you are thinking of bistable multivibrators. I was talking about
    > the Wiliams tube store:
    >
    > http://ed-thelen.org/comp-hist/SEAC-Williams-tube-desc.html


    Very cool. Yes, I was thinking of something else. However, Williams'
    first attempt at storing memory on a CRT (1946) stored only one bit.

    > I don't ever remember programming to cope with equipment failure,
    > however. Did you make that bit up?


    No, I read it many years ago. However, I cannot find the reference
    (try searching for anything computer related and "shopping cart.") so I
    cannot check the story's veracity.

    --
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain <> | Democracy is three wolves
    http://www.druid.net/darcy/ | and a sheep voting on
    +1 416 425 1212 (DoD#0082) (eNTP) | what's for dinner.
     
    D'Arcy J.M. Cain, Oct 28, 2008
    #7
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ilias Lazaridis
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    463
    Ilias Lazaridis
    Feb 21, 2006
  2. james_027
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    349
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
    Aug 22, 2007
  3. Navkirat Singh
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    3,263
    Navkirat Singh
    Jul 29, 2010
  4. Chris Rebert
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    561
    Chris Rebert
    Jul 29, 2010
  5. Fox

    dictionary within dictionary

    Fox, Mar 8, 2005, in forum: ASP General
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    204
    Michael D. Kersey
    Mar 13, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page