Re: Difference between Cygwin and DOS handling of string input

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by jacob navia, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. jacob navia

    jacob navia Guest

    Dik T. Winter a écrit :
    > In article <hgdvej$2eg$> writes:
    > > Tom St Denis a écrit :

    > > > their user security is somewhat of a joke, you
    > > > have to be root to install most apps,

    > > Under Unix too

    > Wrong, I never install an app as root.

    apt-get install needs you to be root. This is under the
    debian and ubuntu distributions of linux.

    To install gcc, for instance, you need to be root to
    acess /usr/local/bin. Yes, you can install everything under your
    own directory, but (as you know very well) that wouldn't be very
    practical.

    jacob navia, Dec 18, 2009

  2. In article <hgg8j7$bvd$> (Kenny McCormack) writes:
    > In article <>, Dik T. Winter <> wrote:

    > >I would not know why that would be impractical. I have done just such
    > >a thing many times. And many people at this institute install apps in
    > >their home directory because they do not have root access on their
    > >desktop.

    > You guys are missing the point. The fact that you need to be
    > Administrator to install (most) apps on a Windows box is a *FEATURE*.
    > It was designed this way intentionally and on purpose. It was not any
    > kind of oversight or bug or limitation. It was done this way in direct
    > response to corporate requirements.
    >
    > I know this sounds heretical to most of the people here, but from the
    > management's point of view, you don't *WANT* people installing apps on
    > their machines. You *WANT* centralized control.

    Ah, yes, I remember, there was a reason we use Linux here.
    --
    dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131

    Dik T. Winter, Dec 21, 2009