Re: distributing programs on server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Merlin, Jul 11, 2003.

  1. Merlin

    Merlin Guest

    Doesn't closing files this way crash your program on users machines?

    I can think of only two ways to accomplish your task:-
    1) Auto install the application locally at user login.

    2) Place a timer in the application that checks say every 5-10 minutes for
    the existence of a file (e.g CLOSE.APP) you create or your program creates,
    and when found will notify each current user the program will shutdown and
    then get the program to automatically gracefully close, and maybe also auto
    run another small program that keeps the user informed that the application
    is being updated, this too having a timer that will restart the main
    application when the existence of the file has been deleted.

    So users don't attempt to run the app again before you have updated, you
    could always have a small app that runs the main app and before starting the
    main app checks for the existence of your file.

    Merlin

    Merlin, Jul 11, 2003