Re: Distutils - can user designate install directory for windowsinstaller?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Hammond, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. Mark Hammond

    Mark Hammond Guest

    On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
    > I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
    > using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
    > do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
    > designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
    > install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.

    bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
    on Python itself being installed. As a result, it only installs into
    where Python libs and modules are generally installed.

    It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
    version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
    py2exe to create the application itself, and something like Inno or NSYS
    to create an installer which allows the user to specify where they want
    it installed and doesn't depend on Python already being installed.

    Cheers,

    Mark

    Mark Hammond, Sep 9, 2009

  2. Mark Hammond

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 09:10:38 +1000, Mark Hammond
    <> wrote:
    > On 9/09/2009 1:57 AM, Timothy W. Grove wrote:
    >> I have successfully built a windows installer for my python program
    >> using distutils, (python setup.py bdist_wininst), but is there a way to
    >> do it that will allow a user ('user' == 'boss', in this case!) to
    >> designate the installation directory, rather than being forced to
    >> install into /Python/Lib/site-packages ? Thanks for any help.

    > bdist_wininst is for packaging python modules or packages and so depends
    > on Python itself being installed. As a result, it only installs into
    > where Python libs and modules are generally installed.
    >
    > It sounds like you are looking for something to create a stand-alone
    > version of your program - in that case you are probably looking for
    > py2exe to create the application itself [...]

    No, that does not follow from what he writes. To me it seems he wants
    a windows installer which can be run by a non-administrator,
    installing probably to that guy's home directory. Or maybe to a
    networked disk -- anywhere but the standard place.

    I don't know how that works. I *do* know that you can do "setup.py
    install --prefix somewhere" but the guy who does that needs to have
    the actual source code, not a windows installer.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .
    \X/ snipabacken.se> O o .