Re: distutils that supports msvc10 and that can be backfitted intoPython 2.6

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mero, Jul 2, 2012.

  1. Mero

    Mero Guest

    On 26/06/2012 23:24, KACVINSKY Tom wrote:
    > I have need for a distutils that supports msvc10, and which can be
    > back-fitted into Python 2.6. Is there such a beast?

    One trick I found was to define an environment variable *VS90COMNTOOLS*
    that points to the actual VS2010 location:

    VS90COMNTOOLS=%VS100COMNTOOLS%

    This is because distutils looks for VS2008 in the registry and falls
    back to the env. var. above, hence we trick it to detect VS2010 and call
    `vcvarsall.bat` when compiling extensions:

    python setup.py build --compiler=msvc

    Just keep in mind that it is recommended that "extension modules be
    compiled with the same compiler that was used to compile Python" which
    is still VS2008 to this day..

    Mero, Jul 2, 2012