Re: distutils

Discussion in 'Python' started by Michael Hudson, Aug 20, 2003.

  1. "Bryan" <> writes:

    > what is the correct way to pass custom values to a distutil's setup
    > script? i'd like to pass on the command line the libraries_dir
    > path. should i just parse it out from sys.argv?

    Um, most options already have an associated command line option...
    doesn't the --install-dir option to install_lib do what you want?

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    Presumably pronging in the wrong place zogs it.
    -- Aldabra Stoddart, ucam.chat
    Michael Hudson, Aug 20, 2003

  2. Michael Hudson

    Bryan Guest

    "Michael Hudson" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Bryan" <> writes:
    >
    > > what is the correct way to pass custom values to a distutil's setup
    > > script? i'd like to pass on the command line the libraries_dir
    > > path. should i just parse it out from sys.argv?

    > Um, most options already have an associated command line option...
    > doesn't the --install-dir option to install_lib do what you want?

    it doesn't work for the library_dirs

    setup.py install --library_dir=".."
    error: option --library-dirs not recognized

    or

    setup.py --library_dir=".." install

    Bryan, Aug 20, 2003

  3. "Bryan" <> writes:

    > "Michael Hudson" <> wrote in message news:...
    > > "Bryan" <> writes:
    > >
    > > > what is the correct way to pass custom values to a distutil's setup
    > > > script? i'd like to pass on the command line the libraries_dir
    > > > path. should i just parse it out from sys.argv?

    > > Um, most options already have an associated command line option...
    > > doesn't the --install-dir option to install_lib do what you want?
    > >

    > it doesn't work for the library_dirs
    >
    > setup.py install --library_dir=".."
    > error: option --library-dirs not recognized
    >
    > or
    >
    > setup.py --library_dir=".." install
    > error: option --library-dirs not recognized

    Oh, *that* option.

    You have to pass that directly to build_ext, it seems. 'install'
    doesn't pass it through.

    Cheers,
    mwh

    --
    I believe C++ instills fear in programmers, fear that the
    interaction of some details causes unpredictable results.
    Michael Hudson, Aug 20, 2003