Re: div-float here code

Discussion in 'HTML' started by dorayme, Apr 23, 2008.

  1. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <8hsw1wayki3h$>,
    artev <> wrote:

    > Code below
    > 1st problem)
    > with firefox work good, I have
    > div1 div2 div3
    > div4 div5 div6
    >
    > but with IE not work, I see this
    > div1 div2 div3 div5 div6
    > div4
    >
    > 2nd)
    > I want border blue (div0) that contains (perimeter) all the other divs.
    > not work.
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > I use in localhost:
    >

    ....

    First, about the blue border. In good modern browsers, you can get what
    you want by overflow: hidden on the container for your floats. This will
    not work for Internet Explorer 6 though. Internet Explorer 6 has a
    natural propensity to grow height for its floated children when it has
    an explicit width assigned to it. Even though this is a default, you
    need to put it in. So add to your class "div0-style", width: 100%; and
    it will grow height and the blue will enclose all the divs.

    Second, the other problem is exceedingly difficult because of the
    hopeless state of IE6's float handling. floats 4, 5 and 6 will not drop
    to the next line by the method I recommended (or as others recommended)
    in IE6 on your sort of code. You will get 4 dropping but leaving 1, 2,
    3, 5 and 6 on the top line. Crazy and infuriating, yes. So you need a
    strategy that is rather different for IE 6.

    The best I can do for you at the moment is something like this that
    works on my test in IE6 just now:

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/artev2.html>

    (Gus, I still owe you an example too...)

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 23, 2008
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > >
    > > The best I can do for you at the moment is something like this that
    > > works on my test in IE6 just now:
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/artev2.html>

    >
    > Hmm, wrapping the three divs inside the clearing div - not my cup
    > (although it works).
    > Check this out:
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">

    ....

    Fine, if your cup of tea for a restricted problem like this is to use 9
    divs instead of 8 in the attempt to appease IE6.

    Do you realise Gus, that there are only so many divs on earth, they are
    not an endless supply. My organization, Divpeace, is devoted to their
    conservation. (If you or Harlan or Richard care to join, please send $US
    10)


    > > (Gus, I still owe you an example too...)

    >
    > Promises, promises ;-)


    Honestly Gus... I am just hoping someone will front up with a bet as
    they begin to doubt me so I can make a quid on the deal*. (I have to
    look up some old emails and find the example...).

    -----------
    *Which reminds me of a Jewish parrot joke:

    David Bronstein had a parrot that talked really well and could pray
    aloud. He told his mates at the synagogue that he had a Jewish parrot
    that prayed aloud. They laughed and did not believe him. He bet them it
    was true. Wagers were organised. Next Sat he took the bird down to the
    hall behind the synagogue as arranged, his mates all smiling and shaking
    their heads. He puts the bird on the edge of a lectern and steps back
    and says, "Pray!"

    Total silence.

    "Pray!"

    Again, total silence.

    His mates begin to jeer and demand their money. He pays out big and
    takes the bird home.

    He is furious. He grabs the bird by the neck. Do you know how much I
    lost because of your little stunt? And I am a laughing stock already! He
    tells the parrot to take a good look around and enjoy its last breath of
    air.

    As he squeezes its neck, the bird suddenly screeches out: "Hey, Stop!
    Think! Think of the odds they will give you if you arrange another bet
    for next week!"

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 23, 2008
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. dorayme

    BootNic Guest

    dorayme <> wrote in
    news::

    > In article <8hsw1wayki3h$>,
    > artev <> wrote:
    >

    [snip]
    >> with firefox work good, I have
    >> div1 div2 div3
    >> div4 div5 div6
    >>
    >> but with IE not work, I see this
    >> div1 div2 div3 div5 div6 div4

    [snip]
    > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/artev2.html>


    Example based off dorayme's example

    http://snurl.com/25e99

    --
    BootNic Wednesday April 23, 2008 1:42 AM
    "I've noticed that the press tends to be quite accurate, except when
    they're writing on a subject I know something about."
    *Keith F. Lynch*
     
    BootNic, Apr 23, 2008
    #3
  4. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    BootNic <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> wrote in
    > news::
    >
    > > In article <8hsw1wayki3h$>,
    > > artev <> wrote:
    > >

    > [snip]
    > >> with firefox work good, I have
    > >> div1 div2 div3
    > >> div4 div5 div6
    > >>
    > >> but with IE not work, I see this
    > >> div1 div2 div3 div5 div6 div4

    > [snip]
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/artev2.html>

    >
    > Example based off dorayme's example
    >
    > http://snurl.com/25e99


    The *reason* OP was using float in the first place is simply obscure and
    so your changing focus to simpler inline is good...

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 24, 2008
    #4
  5. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > (Gus, I still owe you an example too...)

    >
    > Promises, promises ;-)


    I am still waiting for a reply from someone who has IE7 on their machine
    but has this special way of also having IE6 too and he saw that empty
    clearing float on a particular page was not working. I could not
    reproduce it on my IE6 (which is the real thing on Win 2000) but I do
    notice that even in my IE 6 the empty clearing div is not working as
    expected in a particular page set up. I also got a report from someone
    else along the same lines, to wit, that the menu was hanging down in his
    IE6 outside the wrapper like a big tongue.

    Here are the essentials

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/ieFloatTest/nonEmptyClear.html>

    and

    <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/ieFloatTest/emptyClear.html>

    Only the first works as expected in IE6. So after this experience, I am
    wary of completely empty clearing divs for IE6 even though they do work
    from time to time in other webpage setups.

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 25, 2008
    #5
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Gus Richter <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > Gus Richter <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> dorayme wrote:
    > >>
    > >>> (Gus, I still owe you an example too...)
    > >> Promises, promises ;-)

    > >
    > > I am still waiting for a reply from someone who has IE7 on their machine
    > > but has this special way of also having IE6 too and he saw that empty
    > > clearing float on a particular page was not working. I could not
    > > reproduce it on my IE6 (which is the real thing on Win 2000) but I do
    > > notice that even in my IE 6 the empty clearing div is not working as
    > > expected in a particular page set up. I also got a report from someone
    > > else along the same lines, to wit, that the menu was hanging down in his
    > > IE6 outside the wrapper like a big tongue.
    > >
    > > Here are the essentials
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/ieFloatTest/nonEmptyClear.html>
    > >
    > > and
    > >
    > > <http://netweaver.com.au/alt/ieFloatTest/emptyClear.html>
    > >
    > > Only the first works as expected in IE6. So after this experience, I am
    > > wary of completely empty clearing divs for IE6 even though they do work
    > > from time to time in other webpage setups.

    >
    > Yes, the background on the footer is lost and the height of footer is
    > also changed - weird, but then it's IE.
    >
    > However, it does not mean that the &nbsp; in the clearing div is what is
    > needed. In fact you can place &nbsp;, a period, or whatever _after the
    > clearing div_ and the bug is also cured with it. So, this IE bug has
    > nothing to do with the clearing div.
    >
    > There is also another curious thing going on with IE when the width
    > and/or height of the window is changed, the content (contacts)
    > disappears at certain window sizes.


    First about what I think is the Peekaboo bug: I now remember why I gave
    the width of a container an explicit 100% in the ie.css sheet. I have
    turned this back on and that should (hopefully) fix that one.

    About the clearing div, to be perfectly honest with you Gus, I am having
    difficulty recreating what actually happened a month or two back. I
    cannot even get the people who saw the menu hang out like a big tongue
    in IE6 with the empty clearing div (but *not* with the one with some
    content) to see it in this test case.

    Now that I have put back an explicit width on the wrapper, both empty
    and non empty clearing divs work as well as each other.

    Bugger it and damn it! I still owe you an example.

    Perhaps I am simply wrong and it was the emulator version that it was
    being viewed with. Perhaps they all had this (some of my friends are
    either Mac people, people with IE7 or geeks with IE 7 and emulators or
    whatever you call them. I don't know folks with natural IE6 at the
    moment.)

    I am sending you $US10 in lieu of the case I promised. If I ever get it
    again and demo it, you send me the $ back (with interest I think would
    be fair). <g>

    --
    dorayme
     
    dorayme, Apr 25, 2008
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. bd
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    634
  2. Bergamot

    Re: div-float here code

    Bergamot, Apr 23, 2008, in forum: HTML
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    335
    Bergamot
    Apr 24, 2008
  3. Jimmy
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    4,936
    Chaddy2222
    Nov 21, 2008
  4. K Viltersten

    <div ... /> and <div ...></div>

    K Viltersten, Mar 30, 2009, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    756
  5. Carsten Fuchs
    Replies:
    45
    Views:
    1,558
    James Kanze
    Oct 8, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page