Re: div margins?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Owen Jacobson, Sep 1, 2003.

  1. Toby A Inkster wrote:

    > Steven wrote:
    >
    > > Well, why is there a difference? After all, the changes are in the
    > > other div.

    > Dunno. Mozilla bug I guess. Looks fine in Opera 7.20b5 for Linux.

    I'm not so sure it's a bug as such, simply a different way of
    approaching the default margins for the page. Padding certainly makes
    sense, if you assume that the BODY box goes to the edges of the browser
    window, but margin also makes sense if you don't and assume it's
    somewhere inside the browser window.

    If there is a chapter-and-verse reference that says that BODY's default
    visual style MUST use padding, I'd appreciate knowing where it is.

    Owen

    Owen Jacobson, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Owen Jacobson wrote:

    > I'm not so sure it's a bug as such, simply a different way of
    > approaching the default margins for the page. Padding certainly makes
    > sense, if you assume that the BODY box goes to the edges of the browser
    > window, but margin also makes sense if you don't and assume it's
    > somewhere inside the browser window.

    That's not the difference which I dismissed as a Mozilla bug.

    That said, I do thing the default 'gap' (for want of a neutral word)
    around a page should be <body>'s padding. Why? Because in the gap you can
    see the background which has been assigned to <body>.

    playing://(nothing)

    Toby A Inkster, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Following up to myself because I've thought of something, a week and a
    bit later.

    Owen Jacobson wrote:

    > Toby A Inkster wrote:
    >
    > > That said, I do thing the default 'gap' (for want of a neutral word)
    > > around a page should be <body>'s padding. Why? Because in the gap
    > > you can see the background which has been assigned to <body>.

    > Ah. Now *that*'s a bug. My mistake; the background should certainly
    > only be within the actual BODY element. Margins would move that out
    > from the window edges.

    Do you know if there's a Bugzilla number for this? I really don't
    fancy dealing with their search engine.

    Owen Jacobson, Sep 10, 2003