Re: division

Discussion in 'Python' started by Sean Ross, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Sean Ross

    Sean Ross Guest

    > That works great for simple 2 number ones
    >
    > txt = pattern.sub(replaceint, "4/3")
    > eval(txt)
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    > File "<string>", line 0, in ?
    > File "<stdin>", line 6, in __div__
    > __main__.ExactDivisionError: exact division only
    >

    > bit if the user types something more complex like

    > 3
    >
    > it doesnt raise an exception even though im dividing
    > 18 / 5 which doesnt go evenly .

    Adding the following method to the myint class solves this issue:

    def __rdiv__(self, other):
    return self.__div__(other)

    import re

    class ExactDivisionError(Exception):
    pass

    class myint(int):
    def __div__(self, other):
    "does exact division only"
    quotient, remainder = divmod(self, other)
    if remainder:
    raise ExactDivisionError, "exact division only"
    return quotient

    def __rdiv__(self, other):
    return self.__div__(other)

    def replaceint(match):
    "substitues 'myint(integer)' for each matched integer"
    return 'myint(%s)'% match.string[match.start():match.end()]

    # some testing...
    pattern = re.compile(r'\d+') # matches integers
    txt = '((4 * 5) -2) / 5'
    txt = pattern.sub(replaceint, txt)
    print txt # 'myint(2) + myint(22)/myint(5)'

    try:
    result = eval(txt) # this will raise an exception for 'txt'
    print result
    except ExactDivisionError:
    print "ExactDivisionError"

    #OUTPUT
    # ((myint(4) * myint(5)) -myint(2)) / myint(5)
    # ExactDivisionError

    Sean Ross, Jun 24, 2003

  2. Sean Ross

    Sean Ross Guest

    "Steven Taschuk" <> wrote in message
    > You need the values produced by + etc. to be myints as well;
    > merely inheriting the arithmetic methods from int is inadequate,
    > since these methods return ints. So you need to extend __add__,
    > __sub__, __radd__, ...

    Sure.
    It was never my intention to produce a complete solution for the OP's
    problem - it wasn't that interesting to me. I offered a quick hack to show a
    way they could go about solving their particular problem *in the way that
    they had set out to do so* (should they choose to continue in that manner).
    I did not suggest that my solution was complete, optimal, or correct (in
    fact, I indicated the opposite). This was just a possible avenue to explore.
    If they chose to explore this route, then yes, they'd have to do as you
    suggest, and hopefully, they would come to realize that, and perhaps learn a
    few things along the way. Regardless, you're correct to point out the
    shortcomings to this approach. So, thanks...heh

    > Expressions are pretty easy to parse and evaluate, btw; it seems
    > to me simpler to write your own parser/evaluator, rather than
    > using eval.

    Yes. I suggested the OP use SPARK, which has some example code for parsing
    and evaluating expressions that use only addition and multiplication. It
    should be fairly uncomplicated to extend that code to handle subtraction and
    division, and to do so in a manner that complied with their requirements re:
    division in particular. However, if they weren't interested in doing so,
    they could still try to do what they want using the method I suggested (with
    your additional specs). However, I also mentioned one other issue they'd
    have to address if they chose to use the 'myint' approach; namely, that
    they'd have to be able to ensure that the expressions typed in by their
    users only ever included ints, and not floats. Beyond that, they'd also need
    to ensure that the only other characters were (,),+,-,*,/, and that all of t
    he expressions were well-formed. Which is *why* it would be simpler to make
    a parser/evaluater - since they're pretty much going to have to parse and
    evaluate the strings anyway to ensure that those strings are suited to their
    purpose (and to handle them appropriately when they are not). Just feeding
    in possibly arbitrary strings to eval and crossing your fingers that
    everything will work out the way you've planned is a recipe for
    disappointment.

    Sean Ross, Jun 24, 2003