Re: dmoz.org

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Aug 1, 2003.

  1. In article <1soWa.10274$>,
    lid says...
    > Has anyone ever got the open directory to sucessfully do anything?

    No.

    Let's say you're a microwave manufacturer:

    The procedure, so far as I've experienced it, is:

    Find the 'microwave manufacturer' category.
    Submit your site.
    Wait a few months.
    Try again.
    Wait a few months.
    Repeat as necessary.
    Figure there's no editor actually managing it.

    Think to yourself "Hey - it's a commercial category. If someone wants to
    be in it, they'll apply. I could edit it - no big deal. Someone emails
    me & asks to be in the category. I check they're a microwave
    manufacturer & that their site links to microwave-manufacturing type
    things, and, boom, stick them in.

    So you apply to edit the category.
    Some editor-type then asks you to supply 20 links that you'd add to the
    category were you appointed the exalted post of "Editor of Business:
    Consumer Goods and Services: Home and Garden: Appliances: Kitchen and
    Dining: Countertop: Microwaves"

    Jeeze, you think, what's the point of that? It's commercial. Build and
    they will come.

    But, heck, you spend a couple of hours googling around for new entries
    (ie other people who've failed to get listed) and send in a list.
    A month later you're rejected on the grounds that the links aren't
    creative enough, or some such bollox.

    Fsk it then, you opine.

    http://dmoz.org/Business/Consumer_Goods_and_Services/Home_and_Garden/App
    liances/Kitchen_and_Dining/Countertop/Microwaves/

    Jacqui or (maybe) Pete, Aug 1, 2003