Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gene Wirchenko, Jul 25, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:58:42 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    wrote:

    >On 7/25/2012 1:10 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:20:04 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> I think you should go for a book.
    >>>
    >>> 1 minute at Amazon found:
    >>>
    >>> Java The Complete Reference / Herbert Schildt

    >> [snip]
    >>
    >>> Yes - the author is the same author that can raise the
    >>> blood pressure by 40 in C feinschmeckers.

    >> Which means I would skip it. It is useful for a reference book
    >> to be accurate. Schildt's C books are not accurate.

    >No.
    >
    >And if you want to discuss subtleties in the Java language with Lew,
    >then the book is not a good choice.
    >
    >But for giving an overview of the most used packages/classes/methods
    >in the Java API it may be fine.
    >
    >Or at least his C books are. The introduction to printf formats does
    >not become less useful by the fact that main is declared void in the
    >examples.

    It does indicate sloppiness. According to those who know C,
    there are lots, excuse me, *LOTS* of errors in his books. He
    published the C standard annotated, and there were many errors in his
    annotations.

    Minor errors of omission because of simplification can be
    acceptable, but flat-out errors are not.

    >> Presumably, there are other Java books.

    >Maybe.

    Good technical books are hard to find. Apart from courses --
    where I did not have the choice -- I am very reluctant to buy a
    technical book before having recommendations from people I trust or
    having read a fair chunk of it myself.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 25, 2012

  2. Gene Wirchenko

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/25/2012 4:38 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:58:42 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    > wrote:
    >> On 7/25/2012 1:10 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>> On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 20:20:04 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    >>> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> [snip]

    >>> [snip]

    >>> Which means I would skip it. It is useful for a reference book
    >>> to be accurate. Schildt's C books are not accurate.

    >> No.
    >>
    >> And if you want to discuss subtleties in the Java language with Lew,
    >> then the book is not a good choice.
    >>
    >> But for giving an overview of the most used packages/classes/methods
    >> in the Java API it may be fine.
    >>
    >> Or at least his C books are. The introduction to printf formats does
    >> not become less useful by the fact that main is declared void in the
    >> examples.

    > It does indicate sloppiness. According to those who know C,
    > there are lots, excuse me, *LOTS* of errors in his books. He
    > published the C standard annotated, and there were many errors in his
    > annotations.
    >
    > Minor errors of omission because of simplification can be
    > acceptable, but flat-out errors are not.

    There are hundreds of error.

    But how many of those has practical impact for someone
    that want to learn C? Not that many!

    >>> Presumably, there are other Java books.

    >> Maybe.

    > Good technical books are hard to find.

    The chance of finding an author that can write 100%
    correct and still want to write 500+ pages about
    something as trivial as an API are slim.

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 25, 2012