Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gene Wirchenko, Jul 25, 2012.

  1. On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:44:04 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote:

    >On 7/25/2012 1:41 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>
    >> Instead, Google requires that you dig through a lot of dross.
    >> That also gets old fast. C'mon, admit it. Don't you see a lot of
    >> nonsense about Java (or pretty much anything) on the Web?


    >No, seriously, I don't. Oracle's APIs are always the first thing that
    >comes up when I search. I don't know if Google tailors its results and
    >knows what I'm looking for, but that's what I get.


    I like to think that my Google-fu is reasonably good, but
    sometimes, I find it nearly impossible to find what I am looking for.

    How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX? I have looked
    for this and found general answers but nothing so useful as an actual
    example of how to make it go. Given the example, I could probably
    handle the rest. Unable to find one, I have given up on it.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 25, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gene Wirchenko

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/25/2012 5:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 13:44:04 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/25/2012 1:41 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Instead, Google requires that you dig through a lot of dross.
    >>> That also gets old fast. C'mon, admit it. Don't you see a lot of
    >>> nonsense about Java (or pretty much anything) on the Web?

    >
    >> No, seriously, I don't. Oracle's APIs are always the first thing that
    >> comes up when I search. I don't know if Google tailors its results and
    >> knows what I'm looking for, but that's what I get.

    >
    > I like to think that my Google-fu is reasonably good, but
    > sometimes, I find it nearly impossible to find what I am looking for.
    >
    > How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    > now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX? I have looked
    > for this and found general answers but nothing so useful as an actual
    > example of how to make it go. Given the example, I could probably
    > handle the rest. Unable to find one, I have given up on it.


    That does not seem to relate to Java API.

    I am sure googling of "java database" will give you
    plenty of relevant hits.

    You can do either:
    browser running Java applet--------database
    or:
    browser--------Java web app-----------database

    That the last is better than the first is about good
    software design - and that is difficult close to
    impossible to learn by googling.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 25, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Gene Wirchenko

    markspace Guest

    On 7/25/2012 2:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    > now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX?



    You understand we're talking Java here right? You asked if the Java API
    and specification was available for download. I gave you a link showing
    where to get it, and also mentioned that Google was superior for
    searching than "greping."

    Sometimes I wonder if people here are actually reading the threads or
    even their own posts, or just trolling on auto-pilot.
     
    markspace, Jul 25, 2012
    #3
  4. On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 18:46:20 -0400, Arne Vajhøj <>
    wrote:

    >On 7/25/2012 5:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:


    [snip]

    >> How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    >> now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX? I have looked
    >> for this and found general answers but nothing so useful as an actual
    >> example of how to make it go. Given the example, I could probably
    >> handle the rest. Unable to find one, I have given up on it.

    >
    >That does not seem to relate to Java API.


    I know that it does not relate to Java. I gave it as an example
    of there being a lot of dross on the Web.

    [snip]

    >That the last is better than the first is about good
    >software design - and that is difficult close to
    >impossible to learn by googling.


    Sure, but many times, just getting that first bit has made all
    the difference. Then, the rest of it becomes clearer or even fairly
    obvious.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 26, 2012
    #4
  5. On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:54:12 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote:

    >On 7/25/2012 2:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >> How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    >> now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX?


    >You understand we're talking Java here right? You asked if the Java API


    And other things.

    >and specification was available for download. I gave you a link showing
    >where to get it, and also mentioned that Google was superior for
    >searching than "greping."


    And I mentioned problems I have run into in doing that. The
    dross.

    >Sometimes I wonder if people here are actually reading the threads or
    >even their own posts, or just trolling on auto-pilot.


    I gave an example of how the Web has a lot of dross. That it was
    not connected to Java is irrelevant to my point. I program in more
    than one language.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko
     
    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 26, 2012
    #5
  6. Gene Wirchenko

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/25/2012 7:11 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    > On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 15:54:12 -0700, markspace <-@.> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/25/2012 2:34 PM, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >>> How about an example of how to connect from a browser (IE 9 for
    >>> now) to an SQL Server database without using ActiveX?

    >
    >> You understand we're talking Java here right? You asked if the Java API

    >
    > And other things.
    >
    >> and specification was available for download. I gave you a link showing
    >> where to get it, and also mentioned that Google was superior for
    >> searching than "greping."

    >
    > And I mentioned problems I have run into in doing that. The
    > dross.
    >
    >> Sometimes I wonder if people here are actually reading the threads or
    >> even their own posts, or just trolling on auto-pilot.

    >
    > I gave an example of how the Web has a lot of dross. That it was
    > not connected to Java is irrelevant to my point. I program in more
    > than one language.


    You replied to a post suggesting that Google could find
    things in the Java API with the browser-DB example.

    Nobody was claiming that you could find out everything
    via Google.

    Proving that you can't find out everything
    via Google is irrelevant for the tread.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 26, 2012
    #6
  7. Gene Wirchenko

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 7/30/2012 8:59 AM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
    > In article <5010773d$0$294$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> You can do either:
    >> browser running Java applet--------database
    >> or:
    >> browser--------Java web app-----------database
    >>
    >> That the last is better than the first is about good
    >> software design

    >
    > Since Webstart came to life, the last one is not really clearly better.


    ????

    What does traditional applet versus web start help on the fact
    that it is not good to have databases directly exposed and that
    the database password can be easily found by decompiling the
    Java code?

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 31, 2012
    #7
  8. Gene Wirchenko

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    On 8/2/2012 5:41 PM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
    > In article <50171efa$0$289$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> On 7/30/2012 8:59 AM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
    >>> In article <5010773d$0$294$>,
    >>> says...
    >>>
    >>>> You can do either:
    >>>> browser running Java applet--------database
    >>>> or:
    >>>> browser--------Java web app-----------database
    >>>>
    >>>> That the last is better than the first is about good
    >>>> software design
    >>>
    >>> Since Webstart came to life, the last one is not really clearly better.

    >>
    >> ????
    >>
    >> What does traditional applet versus web start help on the fact
    >> that it is not good to have databases directly exposed and that
    >> the database password can be easily found by decompiling the
    >> Java code?

    >
    > Why do you think a Java Applet/Webstart application forces you to expose
    > the database?


    That is the scenario described in the discussion you commented
    on.

    Arne
     
    Arne Vajhøj, Aug 2, 2012
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Ramon F. Herrera

    Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

    Ramon F. Herrera, Jul 19, 2012, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    30
    Views:
    741
    R kamalakkannan
    Aug 2, 2012
  2. Gene Wirchenko
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    225
    Arne Vajhøj
    Jul 25, 2012
  3. Gene Wirchenko
    Replies:
    18
    Views:
    344
    Arne Vajhøj
    Aug 7, 2012
  4. David Lamb
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    166
    David Lamb
    Jul 27, 2012
  5. Arne Vajhøj
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    177
    Arne Vajhøj
    Aug 8, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page