Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

Discussion in 'Java' started by Arne Vajhøj, Jul 28, 2012.

  1. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    > On 7/26/2012 10:10 AM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
    >>>
    >>> The question of whether something is or is not Java seems to me to be
    >>> one for which the JLS is indeed the ultimate authority. Can you point
    >>> out in some way in which Gene's programs failed to conform to the JLS?

    >> If it did not conform to the JLS then hopefully the Java compiler would
    >> not compile it.
    >>
    >> But I assume that the question was rhetorical.You know what I mean, but
    >> disagree (which is fine).

    > I'm not sure I know what you mean. Whether something is Java or not is a
    > question of fact, and should be settled by reference to the JLS.
    >
    > It may be quite reasonable to decide that you are only willing to
    > respond to questions from people who follow conventions you like, but I
    > don't think it is reasonable to call something not Java because it does
    > not follow those conventions.

    Whether some code is valid in the Java language and its semantics are obviously
    defined by the JLS.

    But Java comes with a baggage of history, philosophy, traditions and lessons
    learned.

    Java developers are not all identical.

    If we look at some of the statements made in various threads:
    - OOP is just overhead
    - patterns are useless
    - micro optimizations are good
    - public fields are OK
    - interfaces are useless
    - I don't want to follow the standard naming convention
    - I don't want to follow the standard formatting convention
    - I don't want to use the Java library because my own is better
    - portability is useless
    - unit tests are useless
    - ORM's are useless
    - make is the right build tool for Java
    - UML is useles
    - Java docs are useless
    etc.
    then the archetype Java developer would not believe in any of them.

    But many Java developers actually believe in a few of them, because people are
    different with different personal experiences and working in different domains.
    And best practices are not an exact science.

    Someone believing in most of them is a different story. I am skeptical about
    calling such a person for a Java developer. Even though the code is following
    JLS and compiles with javac, then there is almost no overlap with the Java
    world. It is not the Java way. And if the person tried to write such code at
    work, then the person would be kicked out quickly in many places. It is not
    what companies expect when they hire a Java developer.

    People are not born with knowledge about good Java practices. They learn them
    along the way.

    I find it natural that people posting problems in cljp are violating some
    common best practices in Java. If they knew everything then they would probably
    not have a problem to post.

    I am all for helping them with their problem. And also guiding them towards
    better practices. I do that as well. I don't think I am among the most rigorous
    in that regard though.

    If people notice the well meant suggestions and over time adjust, then I am
    happy.

    If they chose to ignore the good advice, then I am disappointed but not
    surprised. That is how it is. I don't maintain a black list so I will most
    likely try and help them again - and get disappointed again. But I know that is
    how it is. C'est la vie. And having to maintain the code they end up with is a
    severe punishment in itself!

    But there are a few things that get me in flame mode:

    1) Complaints from posters that they just want their miserable
    code fixed without any good advice. That is what one can request
    for 250 dollars an hour. If one want free advice, then one has
    to accept the full package of advice.

    2) Attempts to recommend the bad practices to other. Either explicit
    or implicit by criticizing when somebody points out the problems
    in some code.

    Arne

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 28, 2012

  2. To: Arne Vajhøj
    From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: Patricia Shanahan <>

    On 7/26/2012 11:47 AM, Arne Vajhoj wrote: ...
    > Someone believing in most of them is a different story. I am skeptical
    > about calling such a person for a Java developer. Even though the code
    > is following JLS and compiles with javac, then there is almost no
    > overlap with the Java world. It is not the Java way. And if the
    > person tried to write such code at work, then the person would be
    > kicked out quickly in many places. It is not what companies expect
    > when they hire a Java developer.

    I think of programming languages as tools, not philosophies. Java happens to be
    a favorite tool, one that fits my brain the way my favorite wood carving chisel
    fits my hand. On the other hand, I no more subscribe to "the Java way" than to
    a "the half inch chisel way".

    When I'm starting a new program, in a situation in which I'm free to use any
    standards I like, I follow the commonest conventions for the program's
    language. If I'm modifying or adding to an existing project, or working in an
    organization that has other conventions, I follow the local conventions.

    Patricia

    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 28, 2012

  3. To: Arne Vajhøj
    From: "Gene Wirchenko" <gene.wirchenko@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: "Gene Wirchenko" <gene.wirchenko@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: "Gene Wirchenko" <gene.wirchenko@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: Gene Wirchenko <>

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 14:47:46 -0400, Arne Vajhoj <> wrote:

    >On 7/26/2012 2:01 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    [snip]

    >> It may be quite reasonable to decide that you are only willing to
    >> respond to questions from people who follow conventions you like, but I
    >> don't think it is reasonable to call something not Java because it does
    >> not follow those conventions.

    >Whether some code is valid in the Java language and its semantics
    >are obviously defined by the JLS.
    >
    >But Java comes with a baggage of history, philosophy,
    >traditions and lessons learned.

    And mistakes made. Every language has its downside even _____.
    (Fill in the blank however you choose.)

    >Java developers are not all identical.
    >
    >If we look at some of the statements made in various threads:
    >- OOP is just overhead
    >- patterns are useless
    >- micro optimizations are good
    >- public fields are OK
    >- interfaces are useless
    >- I don't want to follow the standard naming convention
    >- I don't want to follow the standard formatting convention
    >- I don't want to use the Java library because my own is better
    >- portability is useless
    >- unit tests are useless
    >- ORM's are useless
    >- make is the right build tool for Java
    >- UML is useles
    >- Java docs are useless
    >etc.
    >then the archetype Java developer would not believe in any of them.

    Oh?

    These statements are written as binary. Either it is right or it
    is wrong. And many are just bait.

    Take the first one. "OOP is just overhead" OOP does have
    overhead. That might or might not matter. If the benefits of OOP outweigh the
    disadvantages, it may well be used. In another situation, it might not do. In
    many, it does not matter.

    Other points can be disposed of similarly. There are only a few
    that I would totally agree with.

    >But many Java developers actually believe in a few of them, because
    >people are different with different personal experiences and working
    >in different domains. And best practices are not an exact science.

    Quite.

    >Someone believing in most of them is a different story. I am skeptical
    >about calling such a person for a Java developer. Even though the code
    >is following JLS and compiles with javac, then there is almost no
    >overlap with the Java world. It is not the Java way. And if the
    >person tried to write such code at work, then the person would be
    >kicked out quickly in many places. It is not what companies expect
    >when they hire a Java developer.

    [snip]

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 28, 2012
  4. Arne Vajhøj

    jebblue Guest

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "jebblue" <jebblue@1:261/38.remove-5ky-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "jebblue" <jebblue@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: jebblue <>

    On Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:41:01 +0000, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    > To: Arne Vajhr#j
    > From: Patricia Shanahan <>
    >
    > On 7/26/2012 11:47 AM, Arne Vajhoj wrote: ...
    >> Someone believing in most of them is a different story. I am skeptical
    >> about calling such a person for a Java developer. Even though the code
    >> is following JLS and compiles with javac, then there is almost no
    >> overlap with the Java world. It is not the Java way. And if the
    >> person tried to write such code at work, then the person would be
    >> kicked out quickly in many places. It is not what companies expect
    >> when they hire a Java developer.

    > I think of programming languages as tools, not philosophies. Java happens to

    be
    > a favorite tool, one that fits my brain the way my favorite wood carving

    chisel
    > fits my hand. On the other hand, I no more subscribe to "the Java way" than

    > a "the half inch chisel way".
    >
    > When I'm starting a new program, in a situation in which I'm free to use any
    > standards I like, I follow the commonest conventions for the program's
    > language. If I'm modifying or adding to an existing project, or working in an
    > organization that has other conventions, I follow the local conventions.
    >
    > Patricia
    >
    > --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    > * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    > --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98
    > Time Warp of the Future BBS - telnet://time.synchro.net:24

    I agree with Patricia, eloquently articulated.

    jebblue, Jul 29, 2012
  5. Arne Vajhøj

    kensi Guest

    To: Arne Vajhøj
    From: "kensi" <kensi@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: Arne Vajhoj
    From: kensi <>

    On 27/07/2012 3:42 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote: [snip]

    Why are half the people in this group suddenly switching to this news.tds.net
    NNTP provider?

    I ask because that NNTP provider is b0rken:

    1. Every post has the same NNTP-Posting-Host header, even from people I
    know are not sockpuppets of one another, e.g. you, Robert Klemmke,
    David Lamb, and Jim Janney all have recent posts with

    2. Posts through that server have the References: header stripped. As
    a result, every time any of you posts through that server it breaks
    a piece off the thread you're replying to, causing clutter and making
    discussions more difficult to follow.

    3. It seems to **** up character encodings, most noticeably when Vajhoj
    posts or is replied to via TDS as he has a non-ASCII character in his
    name.

    Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some reason,
    such as because they closed, please find something better than TDS to replace
    them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not break References: when I
    reply or screw up encoding the o character. It does not require signup.
    Eternal-September is something I often see recommended, does require signup,
    but is free. Either of those is probably better than (and maybe even cheaper
    than) this TDS, from all indications.

    --
    "To explain the unknown by the known is a logical procedure; to explain the
    known by the unknown is a form of theological lunacy." ~David Brooks

    kensi, Jul 29, 2012
  6. Arne Vajhøj

    Lars Enderin Guest

    To: kensi
    From: "Lars Enderin" <lars.enderin@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: kensi
    From: Lars Enderin <>

    2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:
    > On 27/07/2012 3:42 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > Why are half the people in this group suddenly switching to this
    > news.tds.net NNTP provider?
    >
    > I ask because that NNTP provider is b0rken:
    >
    > 1. Every post has the same NNTP-Posting-Host header, even from people I
    > know are not sockpuppets of one another, e.g. you, Robert Klemmke,
    > David Lamb, and Jim Janney all have recent posts with
    >
    > 2. Posts through that server have the References: header stripped. As
    > a result, every time any of you posts through that server it breaks
    > a piece off the thread you're replying to, causing clutter and making
    > discussions more difficult to follow.
    >
    > 3. It seems to **** up character encodings, most noticeably when Vajhoj
    > posts or is replied to via TDS as he has a non-ASCII character in his
    > name.
    >
    > Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
    > reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
    > TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
    > break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
    > does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
    > recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
    > probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
    > indications.

    I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post, addressing the
    same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think anybody else chose it
    either. The posts are copied with different headers but the same contents. That
    server should be closed down.

    --
    Lars Enderin

    Lars Enderin, Jul 29, 2012
  7. To: Lars Enderin
    From: "Patricia Shanahan" <patricia.shanahan@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: Lars Enderin
    From: Patricia Shanahan <>

    On 7/28/2012 1:03 PM, Lars Enderin wrote:
    > 2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:

    >> Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
    >> reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
    >> TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
    >> break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
    >> does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
    >> recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
    >> probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
    >> indications.

    > I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
    > addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
    > anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
    > headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.

    Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many years.
    I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted headers.

    Patricia Shanahan, Jul 29, 2012
  8. Arne Vajhøj

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    To: kensi
    From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: kensi
    From: Arne Vajhoj <>

    On 7/28/2012 3:51 PM, kensi wrote:
    > On 27/07/2012 3:42 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > Why are half the people in this group suddenly switching to this
    > news.tds.net NNTP provider?
    >
    > I ask because that NNTP provider is b0rken:
    >
    > 1. Every post has the same NNTP-Posting-Host header, even from people I
    > know are not sockpuppets of one another, e.g. you, Robert Klemmke,
    > David Lamb, and Jim Janney all have recent posts with
    >
    > 2. Posts through that server have the References: header stripped. As
    > a result, every time any of you posts through that server it breaks
    > a piece off the thread you're replying to, causing clutter and making
    > discussions more difficult to follow.
    >
    > 3. It seems to **** up character encodings, most noticeably when Vajhoj
    > posts or is replied to via TDS as he has a non-ASCII character in his
    > name.
    >
    > Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
    > reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
    > TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
    > break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
    > does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
    > recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
    > probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
    > indications.

    All messages seems to show up OK in one copy.

    Then some server seems to duplicate them with something messed up including
    weird header and footer.

    I have not changed anything in my config and I strongly suspect that the other
    have not either.

    Arne Vajhøj, Jul 29, 2012
  9. Arne Vajhøj

    David Lamb Guest

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "David Lamb" <david.lamb@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: David Lamb <>

    > On 7/28/2012 1:03 PM, Lars Enderin wrote:
    >> 2012-07-28 21:51, kensi skrev:

    >>> Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for some
    >>> reason, such as because they closed, please find something better than
    >>> TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does not
    >>> break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o character. It
    >>> does not require signup. Eternal-September is something I often see
    >>> recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of those is
    >>> probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS, from all
    >>> indications.

    >> I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
    >> addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
    >> anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
    >> headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.
    >>

    > Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many
    > years. I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted
    > headers.

    I've been using news.eternal-september.org for months, and have changed nothing
    recently. Since Patricia is using a completely different server from me, I
    suspect the problem is somewhere else.

    David Lamb, Jul 29, 2012
  10. Arne Vajhøj

    Jim Janney Guest

    To: kensi
    From: "Jim Janney" <jim.janney@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: kensi
    From: Jim Janney <>

    kensi <> writes:

    > On 27/07/2012 3:42 PM, Arne Vajhoj wrote:
    > [snip]
    >
    > Why are half the people in this group suddenly switching to this
    > news.tds.net NNTP provider?
    >
    > I ask because that NNTP provider is b0rken:
    >
    > 1. Every post has the same NNTP-Posting-Host header, even from people I
    > know are not sockpuppets of one another, e.g. you, Robert Klemmke,
    > David Lamb, and Jim Janney all have recent posts with
    >
    > 2. Posts through that server have the References: header stripped. As
    > a result, every time any of you posts through that server it breaks
    > a piece off the thread you're replying to, causing clutter and making
    > discussions more difficult to follow.
    >
    > 3. It seems to **** up character encodings, most noticeably when Vajhoj
    > posts or is replied to via TDS as he has a non-ASCII character in his
    > name.
    >
    > Please switch back to your original providers, or if you can't for
    > some reason, such as because they closed, please find something better
    > than TDS to replace them with. AIOE works well enough for me and does
    > not break References: when I reply or screw up encoding the o
    > character. It does not require signup. Eternal-September is something
    > I often see recommended, does require signup, but is free. Either of
    > those is probably better than (and maybe even cheaper than) this TDS,
    > from all indications.

    For the last several years all my posts, including this one, have been through
    news.eternal-september.org.

    --
    Jim Janney

    Jim Janney, Jul 29, 2012
  11. To: David Lamb
    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: David Lamb
    From: Robert Klemme <>

    On 29.07.2012 04:16, David Lamb wrote:
    > On 28/07/2012 4:12 PM, Patricia Shanahan wrote:

    >>> I, for one, did not switch to that provider, yet my last post,
    >>> addressing the same point as yours, got copied through it. I don't think
    >>> anybody else chose it either. The posts are copied with different
    >>> headers but the same contents. That server should be closed down.
    >>>

    >> Same here. I've used west.news.earthlink.net at my NNTP server for many
    >> years. I've just checked some messages, and recent ones have corrupted
    >> headers.

    > I've been using news.eternal-september.org for months, and have changed
    > nothing recently. Since Patricia is using a completely different server
    > from me, I suspect the problem is somewhere else.

    Same here: I am using news.individual.net (paid service) for years now and did
    not change anything. It seems some news server's configuration or
    implementation is broken and it mirrors messages back with garbled headers.

    Kind regards

    robert

    http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

    Robert Klemme, Jul 29, 2012
  12. To: Robert Klemme
    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>

    To: Robert Klemme
    From: Robert Klemme <>

    On 29.07.2012 10:55, Robert Klemme wrote:
    > Same here: I am using news.individual.net (paid service) for years now
    > and did not change anything. It seems some news server's configuration
    > or implementation is broken and it mirrors messages back with garbled
    > headers.

    I did some analysis and it seems one posting of me shows up five times of which
    only one is the proper original posting and further instances have changed
    headers, message ids and also mangled content.

    Here are selected headers (regexp
    "^(Path|From|Date|Message-ID|References|NNTP-Posting-Date|Lines):"):

    Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:21:17 +0200
    <> <jucbq7$lg6$>
    <-berlin.de>
    <>
    <>
    <500cbc5d$0$295$>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>
    <>

    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>
    Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 18:41:00 GMT

    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>
    Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:42:43 GMT

    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>
    Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:36:42 GMT

    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-5ky-this>
    Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 20:40:16 GMT

    A few observations:

    - Message-ID of course is changed
    - From is garbled
    - References is missing
    - Lines is increasing, you can see stuff added at top and bottom of posting

    Last posting, at top:

    To: Gene Wirchenko
    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>

    To: Gene Wirchenko
    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>

    To: Gene Wirchenko
    From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>

    To: Gene Wirchenko
    From: Robert Klemme <>

    Last posting, at bottom:

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    + Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    -+- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    -+- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    I'll send this to as well as the feedback address of
    news.individual.net.

    Robert Klemme, Jul 29, 2012
  13. Arne Vajhøj

    kensi Guest

    On 29/07/2012 3:19 PM, Jim Janney wrote:

    > Jul 2012 14:19:10 CDT)

    > For the last several years all my posts, including this one, have
    > been through news.eternal-september.org.

    The headers on "this one" say otherwise.

    kensi, Jul 30, 2012
  14. PING Arne Vajhøj - Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

    "Arne Vajhøj" <arne.vajhøj@1:261/38.remove-pvc-this> wrote:

    > To: kensi
    > From: "Arne Vajhoj" <arne.vajhoj@1:261/38.remove-5bm-this>
    >
    > To: kensi
    > From: Arne Vajhoj <>
    >
    > On 7/28/2012 3:51 PM, kensi wrote:

    kensi <> is another sockpuppet of Paul G. Derbyshire.

    --
    If you want to see something lamer than John Edward Kook's Aratzio frogeries,
    check out Scatboi's forgeries.
    This account has been banned because it violated t, Jul 30, 2012
  15. To: Robert Klemme
    From: "Gene Wirchenko" <gene.wirchenko@1:261/38.remove-rf4-this>

    To: Robert Klemme
    From: Gene Wirchenko <>

    On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 11:14:55 +0200, Robert Klemme
    <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >Last posting, at top:
    >
    > To: Gene Wirchenko
    >From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-z1h-this>
    >
    > To: Gene Wirchenko
    >From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-nwi-this>
    >
    > To: Gene Wirchenko
    >From: "Robert Klemme" <robert.klemme@1:261/38.remove-10ae-this>
    >
    > To: Gene Wirchenko
    >From: Robert Klemme <>

    Since my name is in lights^Welectrons here: I have not changed
    anything with my ISP (ocis.net) or USENET provider (eternal-september).

    Gene Wirchenko, Jul 31, 2012