Re: Do C++ and Java professionals use UML??

Discussion in 'Java' started by John B. Matthews, Aug 5, 2012.

  1. To: Patricia Shanahan
    From: "John B. Matthews" <>

    In article <>,
    Patricia Shanahan <> wrote:

    > On 8/4/2012 1:17 AM, Wanja Gayk wrote:
    > > In article <>,
    > > says...
    > >
    > >> I think of programming languages as tools, not philosophies.

    > > You can use a excavator to dig a hole and you could use your old
    > > hand shovel, but you would not try to grab and move the excavator's
    > > arm with our hands to dig a hole, just because that's the way you
    > > operated your old hand shovel for the past 10 years, and you're
    > > used to that.
    > >
    > > Both are different tools that use the same method (digging) to do
    > > the same job (creating a hole), but they want to be used the way
    > > their inventors have imagined, not the way you have used another
    > > tool previously. It may still work though, but I doubt it's the
    > > brightest idea.

    > There are indeed some things that are really necessary for effective
    > use of a given tool. I put the sharp end of my chisel against the
    > wood, and tap the blunt end with a mallet. I'm sure everyone using a
    > wood chisel and a mallet does that the same way round.

    One sharp on both ends might be widely rejected as dangerous; one blunt on both
    ends might be an unfamiliar style of draw knife. I see no harm in polite
    explication in either case.

    > The analogy for the situation that started this sub-thread is as
    > though the excavator were delivered with green paint, and most
    > excavators of that model were painted green. A particular user has a
    > lot of hole-related tools such as pile drivers and other models of
    > excavators, and choose to paint all of them blue to avoid the
    > inconvenience of keeping different paint colors around.
    >
    > He asked a question about lubricating the excavator, but some people
    > take one look at a photo of his blue excavator and tell him that it
    > should be green, that he will never be a capable excavator user
    > unless he paints it green, and that green paint is the excavator way.

    A medical supply vendor asks for help marketing a new line of compressed
    nitrous oxide. Instead of the familiar blue, the tanks are green, "nitrous" is
    almost illegible, and "oxide" is misspelled in a particularly unfortunate way.
    No one comments. An errant bottle finds its way to a matching green oxygen
    manifold; hapless victims enter a persistent vegetative state. Misery ensues.

    As a practical matter, most stylistic vagaries fall between these consequential
    extremes. I would encourage posters to welcome related answers, both those that
    cite a problem and those that comment on its relative importance.

    --
    John B. Matthews
    trashgod at gmail dot com

    --- BBBS/Li6 v4.10 Dada-1
    * Origin: Prism bbs (1:261/38)
    --- Synchronet 3.16a-Win32 NewsLink 1.98

    John B. Matthews, Aug 5, 2012