Re: Documentation of C++ Standard Library

Discussion in 'C++' started by Teddy, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Teddy

    Teddy Guest

    I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
    compiler is a C++ standard library.

    Teddy

    Teddy, Jul 23, 2003

  2. "Teddy" <> wrote...
    > I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
    > compiler is a C++ standard library.

    (a) Please don't top-post.

    (b) The difference between the C++ Standard Library and the one
    that comes with the GNU compiler is the same as between C++
    language and GNU C++ (hint: one is the ideal described in its
    International Standard, the other is an implementation).

    Most likely, there is no documentation describing GNU C++ library.
    Those who implemented it did so (hopefully) by looking at the C++
    Standard. How close they came to it is probably known, and you
    can probably find that out in their discussion forums or whatever
    documents available on their site. If you want to know that the
    implementation is supposed to cover, the best source is the Standard
    itself. If you want to know what is available and _how_to_use_it_,
    get the Josuttis' book I mentioned in the other reply.

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Teddy

    Mike Wahler Guest

    Teddy <> wrote in message
    > I'm not sure, but I thought that the library that comes with the GNU
    > compiler is a C++ standard library.

    Not precisely as per the ISO standard. It adds some
    nonstandard stuff, which is why you really need a
    good book (I recommend Josuttis') so you can know
    the difference.

    BTW please don't top-post.
    Thank you.

    -Mike