Re: Does launching an applet via JNLP work on Linux at all?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2010.

  1. On Feb 25, 4:24 pm, "Qu0ll" <> wrote:
    > "Qu0ll" <> wrote in message
    >..
    > <jnlp spec="6.0+" codebase="." href="applet.jnlp">

    Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
    attribute.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 26, 2010

  2. Andrew Thompson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:03:04 +1100, "Qu0ll" <>

    >> Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
    >> attribute.

    >I included that only out of desperation. It doesn't work with or without.

    Is this beast an Applet or a JWS application? Perhaps converting it
    to the other might be a way out.
    --
    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    http://mindprod.com

    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.
    ~ Douglas Adams (born: 1952-03-11 died: 2001-05-11 at age: 49)
    Roedy Green, Feb 26, 2010

  3. On Feb 27, 9:34 am, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:03:04 +1100, "Qu0ll" <>
    >
    > >> Embedded JNLP applets should not include a codebase
    > >> attribute.

    > >I included that only out of desperation.  It doesn't work with or without.

    > Is this beast an Applet or a JWS application? ..

    Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
    situation. Normally the applet launched by JWS would
    become free-floating (outside any web page).

    But to further complicate things, the plugin2 architecture
    actually makes it possible to provide webstart abilities to
    applets that are *embedded* in a web page.

    See <https://jdk6.dev.java.net/plugin2/jnlp/#USAGE>
    for more details.

    This latter circumstance, is the situation the OP is
    trying to achieve.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org
    Andrew Thompson, Feb 27, 2010
  4. Andrew Thompson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:57:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew Thompson
    who said :

    >Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
    >situation. Normally the applet launched by JWS would
    >become free-floating (outside any web page).

    Don't you use different JNLP to launch a hybrid as either an Applet or
    JWS application?

    By what I mean by hybrid, see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/applet.html

    Roedy Green, Feb 28, 2010
  5. On Feb 28, 1:37 pm, Roedy Green <>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 23:57:11 -0800 (PST), Andrew Thompson
    > who said :
    >
    > >Since JWS can launch applets, it is not an 'either/or'
    > >situation.  Normally the applet launched by JWS would
    > >become free-floating (outside any web page).

    > Don't you use different JNLP to launch a hybrid as either an Applet or
    > JWS application?

    I'm familiar with hybrids, and regularly link to
    your page on them (OK - mostly on the Sun forums,
    which have become my more common outlet to
    discussions on Java).

    Having said that, I am not entirely clear what
    you mean by that question.

    GIFanim <http://pscode.org/gifanim/#run> is a
    hybrid. I launch both forms using JNLP, to get
    access to the file service in a sand-boxed app. -
    but the applet form is embedded in a web page.

    Yes both JNLP files used are different, the JFrame
    version declares application-desc/1.6+, while the
    embedded applet declares applet-desc/1.6.0_10+.
    The applet JNLP includes no codebase, as per Sun's
    instructions.

    (Last time I checked, the application form of GIFanim
    was broken - I need to revise the JNLP and add some
    more Jars to the resources.)

    Of course, I have to concede that if I were making
    an app. to be launched by JWS and intended it to be
    free-floating outside the browser, I would put it
    in a JFrame, if only for (direct access to)/(better
    control of) the top level component in which it is
    displayed.

    Does that answer your question? If not, I'll
    need clarification on exactly what you mean.

    As an aside, did you check out my link to the
    details on the plugin2 architecture? I get the
    impression you had not heard of it before, and
    this entire thread would be very confusing if
    you are unaware of this new way of embedding
    JNLP based applets in web pages.

    --
    Andrew T.
    pscode.org